Bundesstraße 455 (federal highway 455) heads from Königstein via Fischbach to Eppstein and Wiesbaden. The former through road was substituted by a bypass in the early 80s. The new road does not bypass Fischbach but crosses the town on an artificial embankment which destroyed the meadows of the creek. The town center at Langstraße is crossed by a bridge. Three bus routes connect Fischbach with Frankfurt Transit system - mainly Kelkheim railway station.
Fischbach was founded by Franks. The first document which proves the existence of Fischbach (gift to Fulda convent), is dated in the year 780 . In the 13th century the Lords of Eppstein became the new rulers. In 1581 Fischbach became part of Archbishopric of Mainz and was governed from Königstein. After Napoleon split the Holy Roman Empire in 1806, Fischbach and the vicinity was part of Duchy of Nassau. Nassau was annexed by Prussia in 1866 degraded to Wiesbaden district of the Prussian province Hessen-Nassau. Fischbach attended to this administration till the foundation of Hesse in 1946. After being integrated to Prussia, Fischbach belonged to the upper Taunus County. Since 1928 it was part of the newly founded Main-Taunus County. In 1977 Fischbach was incorporated to the city of Kelkheim, together with the former community Rossert (Ruppertshain and Eppenhain).
The emblem shows the „chevrons of Eppstein“ on the right as symbol of the former affiliation to the neighbour town. When Fischbach was part of Archbishopric of Mainz, the chevrons had been substituted by the „wheel of Mainz“ (Mainzer Rad). It has been removed after Fischbach became part of Hessen-Nassau. The left field shows, according to the town name, two red fishes in a silver creek.
The economy of the village was based on agriculture and fruit-growing for centuries. Typically for the lower Taunus are fruit grasslands with apple trees. Since the beginning of the 19th century, many carpenters and joineries were located in the town. Different from Kelkheim, the furniture industry could not be conserved to the present. Besides, the clayey ground allowed setting up brickyards. Also the industry, especially Farbwerke in Höchst (Hoechst AG, today Industriepark Höchst), is a source of income since the late 19th century. The opening of railway line from Königstein to Höchst in 1901 improved the connections to Höchst and Frankfurt. Before that, many workers had to walk every morning to Soden railway station (approx. 8 km).
After World War II, Fischbach had about 1.000 inhabitants. Due to refugee settlement, mainly from Sudetenland, the number of residents was doubled. The village became even bigger in the 60s and 70s due to suburbanization. Fischbach changed from a small Taunus-village to a suburb of Frankfurt. The number of residents rose to about 6.000 in the early 80s and is not changing a lot since that time. Due to strong immigration of citizens from Frankfurt, the confessional (mainly catholic in former times) and the social structure changed: in addition to the long-established village residents, mostly craftsmen and farmers, an academic affected middle-class appeared (employees of Hoechst AG)
In 1781, church Saint Trinity substituted an older church which was built in 1686. The building contains some extravaganza of this time and provides an impressive view from the lower meadows nearby. The church contains the so called “Roteltisstein”, a Christian tombstone from the 7th century. It was transferred to Fischbach in 1868 from a demolished pilgrim chapel nearby (Gimbach). The stone proves the early Christianisation in this region.
Like everywhere in the former area of Archbishopric of Mainz, inhabitants of Fischbach were traditionally catholic. The result of the large number of Protestants immigrated after World War 2, was a growing demand for a Protestant church. A community was founded in the 60s and is named after John the Baptist. The church has a modern style and has big, coloured windows.
Rettershof, northeast of Fischbach, was founded in 1186 as a premonstratensian convent. During the reformation, the land lord closed the convent in 1559 and converted it to a manor. The church of the convent was destroyed during the Thirty Years war. In 1884 an English man bought the manor and built a new mansion in Tudor Style architecture. His successors built a restaurant in 1938, which offered products of the manor. The city of Kelkheim bought Rettershof in 1980 and renovated it. Today, Rettershof consists of three parts: the historically styled yard of the manor, the former mansion and the restaurant. Nearby is a horse-riding range. In the 80s, the mansion was the European headquarters of Hare Krishna-sect for a short time. Today it has been extended to a high-priced hotel.
The bronze fountain in the village center was created in 1987 by Johannes Norbert Klarmann. It shows a craftsman, who drinks water from the fountain. Hanseklinger is a nickname for residents of Fischbach. The derivation of the term has not been clarified.
Former town hall, today community center.
Albert-von Reinach-school is an elementary school. It is located above the town hall square. The catchments area is equivalent to Fischbach area.
Staufenschule (5th – 10th form) had been a comprehensive school for children from Fischbach, Hornau, Ruppertshain and Eppenhain. For several years, it was a secondary school too. The building is also built in 70s architecture style. Since July 31 2006, it is part of Kelkheims’ Eichendorff school
After a long planning-period, a new sports hall opened its gates in 2002. The “Staufenhalle” replaced an old version from 1971. The hall is the largest roofed room in Kelkheim. It has a small tribune and is used by the upper mentioned schools as well as by several sports clubs and for events of regional interest...
Open air sports events take place on Fischbach sports field. It’s located on a border of a wood in the west-end of the village. It is mainly used for football matches of the local football club SV Fischbach and was opened on May 31 1930. In 1952 the area was modified. The ground had been rotated by 90 degrees changing rooms were built. The sports field reopened on August 2 1953. In 1982 the facilities were renovated and a house for club activities was built.
The Kermesse (Kerb) in fall has only local meaning. The Kermesse is celebrated on town hall square. The fire brigade, which is also located there, has to move all vehicles to another place during this time.
The Protestant church community celebrates Saint John’s day (June 24).
The Hanseklinger festival in late summer is celebrated in the village center around the homonymous fountain.