"Lake of Fire
" is a song by the American alternative rock
band the Meat Puppets
. It appears on their 1983
album, Meat Puppets II
and consists of three choruses, punctuated by two verses, in the key of F major.
It was re-recorded as a hidden track on the Too High To Die album, as well as a corresponding single including this version, as well as acoustic and live versions.
The Meat Puppets have played this song at most of their concerts, and even after the Meat Puppets, Curt Kirkwood has performed this song himself at most of his concerts as well as a unique version on a 2005 radio interview with KCXI.
The fourth promotional release to boost the Too High to Die record. Released after they played on MTV Unplugged with Nirvana.Track listing
(All songs by Curt Kirkwood unless otherwise noted)
- "Lake of Fire" (1994 version) - 3:12
- "Lake of Fire" (acoustic version) - 2:45
- "Lake of Fire" (live) - 2:56
- Along with "Plateau" and "Oh, Me", this song was performed on stage with the popular grunge band Nirvana during Nirvana's MTV Unplugged appearance in 1993. This version appears on Nirvana's 1994 live album, MTV Unplugged in New York.
- The song was also covered by a hip-hop/rock crossover group named Lordz of Brooklyn. Although this version features different verses to that of the Meat Puppets, and "bad folks" in the chorus is replaced by "gangstas".
- In the game Mafia, the song is played at the end credits, covered by Lordz of Brooklyn