The executor of the will, John Barnard, formed a Committee of Trustees to administer the school. When the Free Education Act came into force in 1891 it became impossible to support the school without a Government Grant and so the main building was extended and the school took on Voluntary Controlled Status.
In 1912, the technical block was built to house cookery and woodwork classes. This is now fondly called the signal box. The school was modernised in 1985 and an attractive new hall was added, built in the style of the original schoolhouse, which is now a listed building. As well as the six permanent classrooms, there is one single and one double mobile classroom to accommodate the children, the younger children in the mobile classrooms and the older children in the old building and signal box.