Fantome and her sister ships were constructed of an iron frame sheathed with teak and copper (hence 'composite'), and powered by both sails and a single-screw steam engine developing 1,011 horsepower.
Built at a time of great technological change in naval architecture, these composite sloops were obsolete before they were completed. Nevertheless, they served a useful function on the far-flung stations of the British Empire, including participaton in minor wars, such as the Perak War. They were also used for hydrography, and for this reason Egeria was retained until 1911.
|Pembroke Dock||26 March 1873||Sold 1889|
|Chatham Dockyard||24 July 1873||Scrapped 1889|
|Blackwall Yard, London||4 February 1874||Sold 1889|
|Pembroke Dock||1 November 1873||Sold in 1911|
|Chatham Dockyard||27 November 1873||Sold 1888|
|Money Wigram & Sons, Blackwall||20 October 1873||Sold 1887|