Fürstenau is also the seat of the Samtgemeinde ("collective municipality") Fürstenau. St. Georg Evangical Lutheran Church stands in the city market square. Pastor Anke Kusche tells the story of how during WWII the army required all the available metal for war products. The church bells which had rang daily for hundreds of years were taken down as required. But during the night one of them was stollen and buried till after the war in a farmers field.
In the city clerks office hangs a painting of the city in the late 1700's....which is how the city still looks in December 2006.