No. 251 Squadron RAF was first formed in August 1918 from Nos. 504, 505, 506 and 510 (Special Duty) Flights based at Hornsea but operating from Atwick, Greenland Top and Owthorne. The Squadron flew anti-submarine patrols on the coast of Yorkshire for the remainder of WWI and was then disbanded on 30 June 1919.
No. 251 Squadron was then reborn after No. 1407 Flight (stationed at Reykjavik) was renumbered for air-sea rescues on 1 August 1944. The new Squadron also operated as Meteorological Reconnaissance until it was finally disbanded in October 1945.
During its second time in operation, the Squadron flew: