Around 800 Esslingen becomes a market town, its market rights being certified in 866. In 949–953 it appears in the possession of Liudolf, Duke of Swabia. Esslingen received city rights in 1229, and was first mentioned as an Imperial city in 1298.
The time between the 13th century and 16th century saw many conflicts between the Free Imperial City and the State of Badenwuerttemberg. About half the population lost their lives in the Thirty Years War between 1618 and 1648 by either hungar or epedemics. Esslingen lost its independence as an Imperial city in 1803, becoming part of the Duchy of Württemberg.
The beginning of 19th Century was characterized by industrialisation for Esslingen. A glove manufacturing industry, a food proceesing industry, a textile industry and a metal working industry were started. On 20 November 1845 the first train from Cannstatt to Esslingen was introduced.
After the Second World War, about 47,000 people (mostly refugees and displaced persons from the Eastern Germany) moved into Esslingen. There were settlements in Oberesslingen and Zollberg, in order to overcome the shortage of housing.
In 1973 Esslingen am Neckar became seat of the newly enlarged county of Nürtingen now called county of Esslingen.
US Patent Issued to International Business Machines on May 7 for "Open Systems Developer Portal and Managing Software Development Projects" (American, German Inventors)
May 07, 2013; ALEXANDRIA, Va., May 7 -- United States Patent no. 8,438,544, issued on May 7, was assigned to International Business Machines...