Calabasas High School
is a four-year high school, freshman-senior, in Calabasas, California
, United States.
Calabasas High School, which serves Calabasas,and portions of West Hills, Los Angeles, California, and Woodland Hills, is one of three high schools in the Las Virgenes Unified School District (along with Agoura High School in Agoura Hills, California and Indian Hills also located in Calabasas, California). Due to its location, it is frequently in competition in every aspect with El Camino Real High School, located on the north side of the 101 on Valley Circle Boulevard, about a couple miles north of Calabasas High. Some of the competition is due both schools having students come from all parts of the San Fernando Valley. El Camino Real naturally has more Valley students, but Calabasas High has a very high and significant number as well.
As of the 2005-06 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,992 students and 77.8 classroom teachers (on a FTE basis, for a student-teacher ratio of 25.6.
Awards and recognition
During the 2006-07 school year, Calabasas High School was recognized with the Blue Ribbon School
Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education
, the highest award an American school can receive.
Calabasas High was ranked #776 in Newsweek's "Top 1000 U.S. High Schools" poll.
Despite Calabasas High being in Los Angeles County
, its athletic teams compete in the Marmonte League against teams from Ventura County
. The Calabasas football team lost 44 consecutive games in the mid-2000s. In 2007, they broke the record, after beating Channel Islands High School, and were not eligible to meet most High School Football Games lost consecutively. Yet, they still have managed to produce athletes who have moved up to the next level of play. Ezra Butler ('02, Nevada), Alex Rosenblum ('02, Nevada), Kieth Barrett ('04, Moorpark College), Rick Harrison ('04, Idaho), Alex Henderson ('05, Northern Arizona), Andrew Greenfield ('06, Pomona College), Andrew Goldstein ('07, Ohio Wesleyan), Kevin May ('07, Occidental College), Alex Shodahl ('07, Menlo College), Cameron Kaveh ('08, Moorpark College), Emon Saee ('08, Moorpark College).
"Young football players learning how to compete on the gridiron", Camarillo Acorn, October 12, 2007. Accessed November 10, 2007. "After moving from the valley to Calabasas, the Raiders have grown from four teams to 11.
The wrestling team is also highly competitive and respected in the Marmonte League and have included current college wrestlers Cameron Teitelman ('06, Stanford), Rusty Handler ('07, Moorpark College), and Mike Shai ('08, Menlo College)
The Tennis teams for both the guys and the girls are both highly recognized. The girls have won CIF for many years and went on to compete nationally as well.
75% White, 2% African American, 4% Hispanic, 8% Asian, 1% American Indian, 5% Unknown
The Key Club
of Calabasas High School is the largest club on campus. With over 100 members, it has served the surrounding community since the start of the school. Teens Against Domestic Violence is another notable club, with a goal of assisting those affected by domestic violence by raising materials to donate to surrounding domestic violence shelters. It has received several awards including a special recognition by the Board of Supervisors of the County of Los Angeles.
Other clubs on Campus include Animal Activism, Students Supporting Israel, CSF, and Renew Orleans.
The CHS Music and Theater programs have also seen much success. The theater department has competed in the Drama Teachers Association of Southern California (DTASC) where they have won several 1st Place awards over the past 5 years. The music department has competed in the National Heritage Festival, where they won 1st place in 2005 for their mixed choir, and frequently competes in the Essentially Ellington Jazz Festival in New York City.
- Nicky Avalon - son of Frankie Avalon
- Carly Bondar - Special Guest Star of iCarly
- Shiri Appleby - Actress, Star of Roswell
- Elizabeth Berkley -star of Saved by the Bell
- Brandon Boyd - Musician, member of Incubus
- Rob Bourdon - Drummer, member of Linkin Park
- Katie Cassidy - Actress, daughter of David Cassidy
- Alex Contis- NCAA hockey player, NCAA frozen four
- Andy Dubick-Actor on Brodway,special guest star if iCarly
- Mike Einziger - Musician, member of Incubus
- Danielle Fishel - Actress, star of Boy Meets World
- Chris Heathwood - Philosophy Professor, University of Colorado at Boulder
- Michael Huemer - Philosophy Professor, University of Colorado at Boulder
- Members of the band Hoobastank
- Kerri Kasem, Reporter for E! Television, daughter of Casey Kasem
- Erik Menendez - of The Menendez Brothers.
- Jose Pasillas - Musician, member of Incubus
- Audrey Roberts - Writer/Journalist
- Jim Rome - Sports Commentator, host of The Jim Rome Show and Jim Rome is Burning
- Ari Sandel - Oscar Winning Director
- Rick Schroder - Actor.
- Michael Worth - Actor
- Adam Cooper - Head Men's Soccer Coach St Mary's