Ερμιόνη, Ancient Greek Hermione
῾Ερμιόνη, ῾Ερμιών) is a small town and a popular tourist resort in the Peloponnese
. It is on a very small out-cropping of the land facing the island of Hydra
. You can reach Ermioni within two hours from Athens by Hydrofoil
. Ermioni is also the same name of the province
but its capital lies to the southwest in Kranidi
. The ancient country of Ermionis
used to lie in this area. It is linked by a road linking Kranidi and Galatas along with Poros
. It is located SE of Argos
, about ESE of Lygouri, SW of Troizina
, about 10 km E of Kranidi and 17 km NE of Porto Cheli
. The island of Dokos
lies directly to the southeast.
Much of the area is rocky and forested. There are some forests. The mountains with a few valleys surround Ermioni. The harbor of Ermioni lies to the south.
The place has been continuously inhabited, at least since the times of Homer
. During the classic era it was well known for its shipbuilders and also for the production of porfyra, a very important red dye. This dye was used for the colouring of the uniforms of many armies including that of Alexander the Great
described the major temples and buildings, various festivities and sport games of the town. During the Turkish Era it was still known for their ship building and its naval abilities, which played a significant role in the Greek revolution of 1821
|| Municipal population |
|| - |
|| 4,392 |
Ermioni has an elementary school, a lyceum, a gymnasium, churches, banks, a police station, a water tower, a post office, a library, and a square (plateia). The main streets includes Melina Merkouri Street.
HighBeam Research, Inc. © Copyright 2009.
Copyright © 2013 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.