Bo'ness, properly Borrowstounness, is a town in the Falkirk council area of Scotland, lying on a hillside on the south bank of the Firth of Forth. Prior to 1975 it was in the former county of West Lothian: the postal address, however, is still BO'NESS, West Lothian. Formerly a centre of heavy industry and a major port, it is now primarily a commuter town.
In the Roman period, it lay at the eastern end of the Antonine Wall. The end of the wall probably lay in modern Carriden, the eastern part of the town, where Roman inscriptions have been found. It appears that the fort there was named Veluniate. Other Roman sites have been identified at Muirhouses (pronounced "Murrays") and Kinglass on the south-east side of the town. Kinneil, in the western part of Bo'ness, was mentioned by Bede, who wrote that it was named Pennfahel ("Wall's end") in Pictish and Penneltun in Old English . It was also Pengwawl in old Welsh. The Antonine Wall was named as an extension to the Frontiers of the Roman Empire World Heritage Site by UNESCO in July 2007. A Roman fortlet can be seen at Kinneil Estate.
The town was a recognised port from the 16th century; a harbour was authorised by an Act of Parliament in 1707. The harbour, constructed progressively during the 18th century, was extended and complemented by a dry dock in 1881 (works designed by civil engineers Thomas Meik and Patrick Meik). The commercial port (heavily used for the transport of coal and pit props) eventually closed in 1959, badly affected by silting and the gradual downturn of the Scottish coal mining industry. Plans exist to reopen the port.
Bo'ness was a site for coal mining from medieval times. Clay mining was carried out on a smaller scale. The shore was the site of industrial salt making, evaporating sea water over coal fires. The town was home to several sizable potteries , one product being the black wally dogs which sat in pairs over many fireplaces.
Present-day attractions in the town include the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway and the Birkhill Fireclay Mine. Kinneil House, built by the powerful Hamilton family in the 15th century, lies on the west edge of the town. In the grounds are a cottage where James Watt worked on his experimental steam engine and the steam cylinder of a Newcomen engine. The remains of an engine house are located in Kinningars Park, off Harbour Road.
Bo'ness has a single secondary school, Bo'ness Academy, and five primary schools, from west to east, Deanburn (previously burnt to the ground, then rebuilt), Kinneil, Bo'ness Public School, St Mary's, and the Grange School. There are a number of churches, including Bo'ness Old Kirk, Carriden, St Andrew's Parish Church, Craigmailen UFC, St. Catharine's Episcopal Church, Bo'ness Apostolic Church, Bo'ness Baptist Church, The Bo'ness Salvation Army and St. Mary's RC, a modernist design of 1962 by Gillespie, Kidd & Coia.
Bo'ness is set for major regeneration with the announcement in November 2004 of a £150m investment by Dutch company ING to transform the harbour, docks and foreshore with a marina, shopping and housing development. The town centre is also set for a 're-vamp' through the THI (Townscape Heritage Initiative) with a £5m investment funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Falkirk Council, Scottish Enterprise Forth Valley together with Euro funding. The plans have also been given a boost through independent research by the National Economic Foundation which showed Bo'ness in third place in a "top 10" of towns which had managed to retain their individual character. Only Hebden Bridge in Yorkshire and Peebles in the Scottish Borders were ahead of Bo'ness in the table. The Hippodrome Cinema, Bo'ness in the town centre is undergoing renovation and refurbishment and is due to open in mid/late 2008.
qualifying round Bell Cup: Linlithgow Academy U.18 1st XV 35 - 5 Bo'ness Academy/Grangemouth U.16
Boness Academy 25 - 5 Larbert High
Boness Academy 35 - 10 Denny High