The Equitable Building
is a high-rise
located in Des Moines, Iowa
. It is named after the Equitable Insurance Company, which originally owned the building, and is located along Locust Street in the downtown
area of the city. Completed in 1924 and standing at 318 ft
), it was the tallest building in Iowa for almost 50 years, until the completion of Financial Center in 1973, and is now the eighth tallest.
The building consists of retail, office and residential spaces. Since early 2006 a developer has been working to convert much of the building to condominiums. In late 2007 the main retail tenant, Joseph's Jewelry, announced that they would be relocating from the Equitable Building after 83 years to a newer building in the city.