The earliest charts of the Whitsunday area showed only one island, named ‘Passage Island’ where Dent Island and Hamilton Island currently lie. It was not until 1866, when Commander G. S. Nares, Royal Navy, on HMS Salamander, carried out a detailed survey of the northern waters of the Whitsunday Passage that the charts were amended to show two separate islands. Dent Island was named after Lieutenant Albert Dent of the HMS Salamander.
Another small mangrove island in Queensland is known locally as "Dent Island", It is located in the Proserpine River just downstream of the mouth of Saltwater Creek. It was given the name after the 33 tons steamer Ada Dent shipwrecked and sank in deep water off Lady Elliot Island on June 21, 1907.
Construction of the Hamilton Island Golf Club is currently underway on Dent Island and is due to open in Late 2008. This 19 hole golf course is to be operated by Hamilton Island. Designed by five times British Open winner Peter Thomson, the championship course will also feature an exclusive club house and a range of luxury homes and villas.