This article details Leeds United A.F.C.'s 2008–09 season in League One.
This is a list of the significant events to occur at the club during the 2008–09 season, presented in chronological order (starting from 26 May 2008 and ending on 31 May 2009)
. This list does not include transfers or new contracts, which are listed in the transfers
section below, or match results, which are in the matches
- 4 June: Leeds confirm they have had talks with out-of-contract West Bromwich Albion striker, Kevin Phillips, regarding a move to Elland Road. However, the former England international's agent says that it would be "unlikely" that Phillips would move to Leeds. Duncan Revie, the son of the late Leeds manager, Don says he is still interested in buying the club. Meanwhile, thieves steal an England shirt worn by Don during the 1954-55 season.
- 6 June: Chairman, Ken Bates denies rumours that the club have bought back their stadium, Elland Road which is currently owned by the company, Teak Commercial Limited.
- 16 June: The fixtures for the 2008-09 League One season are released. Leeds start away at Scunthorpe United on 9 August, with their first home game against Oldham Athletic a week later. The club's final match of the season is against Northampton Town at Elland Road.
- 26 June: A friendly match scheduled for 30 July against Rotherham United is cancelled due to the "reputation" of the Leeds fans.
- 3 September: Leeds' first goal against Bristol Rovers on 30 August is awarded to Jermaine Beckford after there was initial confusion where the goal had in fact been an own goal by Bristol defender, Steve Elliott. The club plead guilty to the FA charge in regard to payments to unlicensed agents in the Elding transfer.
- 6 September: The club announce that OHS will be the club's secondary shirt sponsor for a further two seasons. OHS were the club's secondary shirt sponsors in the 2007-08 season as well.
- 27 September: The club's new away shirt is made available for the first time in the official club shop and online.
- 30 September: The club are fined £7,500, with a further suspended fine of £12,500, for using an unlicensed agent in the transfer of Anthony Elding from Stockport County in January.
Appearances (starts and substitute appearances) and goals include those in The Premiership, The Championship (and playoffs), League One (and playoffs), FA Cup, League Cup, Football League Trophy, and UEFA Cup.
Squad only includes players currently registered with the club.
1Player joined the club on a non-contract basis.
Most frequent start
Goal of the Month
1Winning goal was the player's third goal in the match.
League One Team of the Week
The following Leeds players have been selected in the official League One team of the week.
1As the player was under the age of 23 at the time of the transfer, an undisclosed compensation package was due to the player's former club.
2Player originally joined the club on a non-contract basis, but signed a one year contract lasting until 2009 several weeks after.
1Automatically extended until 2012 if the club is promoted to The Championship.
Coaching and medical staff
Includes staff currently registered with club only.
Results by round