The New York City Transit Authority
operates two bus routes
- the Bx1 Grand Concourse
and Bx2 Grand Concourse
- on the Grand Concourse
in the Bronx
, New York City
, United States
. As the numbers suggest, these were the first two bus franchises
in the Bronx.
Bx1 and Bx2 buses
The Bx1 and Bx2 bus routes share the majority of their alignment, from the Grand Concourse and 165th Street north along the Concourse and Mosholu Parkway
and west along Sedgwick Avenue to Heath Avenue on the west side of the Jerome Park Reservoir
. At their south ends, the Bx1 continues along the Concourse, turning east on 138th Street and south on Lincoln Avenue to end at 136th Street in Mott Haven
, while the Bx2 turns east on 165th Street, south on Melrose Avenue to the Hub
(using Teller Avenue and 162nd Street northbound), and south on Third Avenue
and Lincoln Avenue to the same terminal (also shared with the Bx21
). The Bx2 usually terminates at Sedgwick and Heath Avenues in Kingsbridge
, but the Bx1 (all times) and Bx2 (on Weekday mornings [S/B only] and Sunday mornings[both directions]) continue west along Heath Avenue, Albany Crescent, Bailey Avenue, and 231st Street to Riverdale Avenue in Riverdale
. Along the way, connections to the subway can be made at Third Avenue–138th Street
, East 138th Street–Grand Concourse
(Bx1 only), East 149th Street–Grand Concourse
(Bx1 only), Third Avenue–149th Street
(Bx2 only), East 161st Street–Yankee Stadium
(Bx1 only), Bedford Park Boulevard
, Mosholu Parkway
, and 231st Street
(Bx1 all times, Bx2 Weekday [S/B only] and Sunday mornings only). Both routes include limited-stop
buses on weekdays and Saturdays from roughly 6:30 am to 7:30 pm.
Concourse Bus Line, Inc.
was incorporated in early July 1921 by Major Emit Leindorf
, deputy police commissioner in charge of motor transport under Mayor Hylan
. The company soon began operating on the Grand Concourse as part of Hylan's "emergency bus lines"
. The Third Avenue Railway
obtained an injunction
against the operation on early March 1923, leading the city to assign two franchises to the company in mid-April, from Grand Concourse and Mosholu Parkway
south to Fifth Avenue
) and Melrose Avenue and 150th Street (the Hub, Bronx
). Along with a route to the Rockaways
, the Concourse service was one of only two of Hylan's lines unaffected by a July 1923 injunction, since they had franchises, but were discontinued anyway by September 1924 due to the failure of the five-cent fare to pay the costs.
The franchises were reassigned to the Fifth Avenue Coach Company, which began operating the routes on October 11, 1924 for ten cents. (The Manhattan line had been truncated to 138th Street in the Bronx.) On September 14, 1927, the routes were again reassigned to the Surface Transportation Corporation, the bus subidiary of the Third Avenue Railway, as two of its initial twelve routes. The bankrupt Surface Transportation Corporation's routes were taken over by Fifth Avenue Coach Lines in 1956, and the New York City Transit Authority subsidiary Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority acquired all of the Fifth Avenue Coach routes in 1962.