(also spelled in lowercase, as such: teany
) is the name of a small tea house, restaurant and beverage distributor in New York City
that is owned by Kelly Tisdale, the ex-girlfriend of electronic musician Moby
. It opened in 2002
in the Lower East Side
, New York, with Moby as co-owner. The company allows liberal pronunciation of the brand name, proclaiming that "you can pronounce it however you like. tea-knee. tee-nee. tea-enn-why," and going on to state that Moby and Kelly themselves pronounce it "teenie," because they are "small," both in stature and in status.
Moby was the co-owner, until recently when he gave full ownership to Kelly. The tea house is situated at 90 Rivington Street; whilst their Iced tea and green tea blends are available in 16 fl oz (473 ml) bottles throughout the world (including an exclusive deal with the Suburb (café bar) chain in Manchester and London England).
The cafe is known for its wide assortment of teas, its vegan food, and its unique decor, most of which was designed in part by Moby himself.
The beverage company distributes tea-juice mixtures around a number of shops around New York and New Jersey. In 2005, UK based Suburb secured an exclusive deal to sell Teany beverages and tea at its stores in Manchester and London.
In late 2005 and early 2006, rumors surfaced that TeaNY would be closing. These rumors proved to be untrue. However, in January 2006, TeaNY underwent several significant business changes. The decision was made to refocus TeaNY as more of a traditional tea house and offer less food. More importantly, Kelly Tisdale took over most, if not all, of the business decisions, with Moby playing a much smaller role in TeaNY's affairs.
Teany made a brief appearance in Moby's 18 B Sides + DVD.
teany beverage company
teany beverage company is owned by White Knight Beverage Company in partnership with Moby, the founder and creator of the brand. teany line of beverages are marketed in the same soft drinks area as the drinks of Arizona Beverages and FIREFLY Tonics. teany features "100% natural 100% nice" ingredients, is organically sweetened and is a beverage line known for its healthy, low-sugar, non-carbonated, refreshing qualities.
The five original flavors are:
- iced tea with lemon (turquoise label)
- ingredients: "brewed black tea using filtered water, organic evaporated cane juice, citric acid, natural flavors."
- herbal citrus cooler (lime green label)
- ingredients: "filtered water, organic cane sugar, orange & lemon juices from concentrate, natural flavors, hibiscus, vegetable juice for color, citric acid, elder flower, beta carotene."
- peach berry green tea (peach-colored label)
- ingredients: "brewed green tea using filtered water, organic evaporated cane juice, peach juice from concentrate, natural flavors, vegetable juice for color, citric acid, ascorbic acid, vitamin e acetate, vitamin a palmitate."
- vanilla berry hibiscus (fuschia label)
- ingredients: "filtered water, organic evaporated cane juice, apple & pineapple juices from concentrate, natural flavors, hibiscus extract, vegetable juice for color, malic acid, citric acid."
- green tea with ginseng (kelly green label)
- ingredients: "brewed green tea using filtered water, organic evaporated cane juice, natural flavors, citric acid, panax ginseng root extract."
The three newcomers were:
- energy tea (light grey label)
- ingredients: "brewed green and black teas using filtered water, organic evaporated cane juice, natural flavors, citric acid, yerba mate, guaraná, ginger."
- white tea with pomegranate (red label)
- ingredients: "brewed white tea using filtered water, organic evaporated cane juice, pomegranate, blueberry and pear juices from concentrate, natural flavors, citric acid, vegetable juice for color."
- herbal tea calm (light blue label)
- ingredients: "filtered water, organic evaporated cane juice, citric acid, natural flavors, decaffeinated black tea, chamomile, rose hips, lavender, lemon grass."
The teany lineup changed in the early summer of 2006, with the addition of a White Tea with Blueberry, and a Green Tea Lemonade.
Moby's ongoing support of the brand is driven by his contribution of 100% of his revenue, royalty etc. to charity.
Each flavor sports its own entertaining blurb, all of which can be viewed at teany's official website, www.teanybeverages.com