Estadio El Madrigal is a multi-use stadium in Villareal, Spain. It is currently used mostly for football matches, as it is the home of Villarreal CF. The stadium with 25,000 seats was built in 1923. Due to the small size of the Vila-real town (less than 50,000 inhabitants) it is popularly said that the town is deserted when the Villarreal plays, as almost half of it fits in the stadium; the average attendance reaches 17,000 fans.
The first remodelling works took place on the summer break of 1952. The size of the pitch was taken from 95 x 65 m to 105 x 65 m, matching that of the Helsinki Olympic Stadium of the 1952 Summer Olympics, a reference to copy during those years.
During the 1960s the club erected a small covered stand, and during the 1971/72 season the southern stands were finished. In 1988 it was demolished to make room for a new stand opened on March 8 1989 with a friendly match against Atlético Madrid.
For the club's 75th anniversary the club started new renovation works. The south stand was again demolished to erect a new one with a roof, an amphitheatre, the VIP sector, and the northern stand were built, finishing the works at the 1999/00 season.
The stadium was first floodlit for night matches on September 16, 1973 for the third division match between Villarreal CF and SE Eivissa-Ibiza. The city hall provided help for the construction of the floodlight towers located at each of the four corners of the field, with nine halogen lamps on top of each one.
The locker rooms were moved several times. Until the 1935/36 season they were at the south eastern corner of the stadium, then at the north east until the 1989, when they were moved to the south western part. After the last modifications to the stadium, the dressing rooms are now under the main stand.
The separation of the pitch from the public has been expanded one meter, and the entrance to the dressing rooms had to be revised. Two restaurants have been created inside the facilities, and the advertising system was computerized.