The Egyptian–Israeli Peace Treaty
: معاهدة السلام المصرية الإسرائيلية; transliterated
: Mu`āhadat as-Salām al-Masrīyah al-'Isrā'īlīyah) (Hebrew
: הסכם השלום בין ישראל למצרים; transliterated
: Heskem HaShalom Bein Yisrael LeMitzraim) was signed in Washington, DC
, United States
, on March 26
, following the Camp David Accords (1978)
. The main features of the treaty were the mutual recognition of each country by the other, the cessation of the state of war that had existed since the 1948 Arab-Israeli War
, and the complete withdrawal by Israel of its armed forces and civilians from the rest of the Sinai Peninsula
which Israel had captured during the 1967 Six-Day War
. The agreement also provided for the free passage of Israeli ships through the Suez Canal
and recognition of the Strait of Tiran
and the Gulf of Aqaba
as international waterways.
On May 18 1981 the President of the UN Security Council indicated that the United Nations would be unable to provide an observation force, due to the threat of a veto of the motion by the USSR at the request of Syria. As a result of the United Nations Security Council impasse, Egypt, Israel and the United States opened negotiations to set up a peacekeeping organization outside the framework of the UN. On August 3 1981, the Protocol to the Treaty of Peace was signed, establishing the Multinational Force and Observers. This observation force monitors the Parties to the treaty compliance to the terms of the treaty.
- The agreement notably made Egypt the first Arab country to officially recognize Israel.
- The peace treaty was signed sixteen months after Egyptian President Anwar Sadat's visit to Israel in 1977 after intense negotiation.
Arab-Israeli peace diplomacy and treaties