Egan is a popular family name that comes from the Irish Gaelic name Mac Aodhagáin. It is derived from the root 'aedh' meaning little fire and the diminutive 'an' hence 'the little bright-eyed one'. Variations include: Egan, Eagan, Keegan, MacEgan, Kegan and Keagan. The name originates from County Tipperary (north).
is a surname of several famous people including:
- Ardis G. Egan, the superintendent of the Los Altos School District and established Los Altos's education community.
- Carolyn Egan, trade unionist, feminist and political activist
- Chandler Egan, golfer
- Chris Egan, actor
- Daniel Egan, former mayor of Sydney
- Edward Cardinal Egan, Roman Catholic Cardinal
- Felim Egan, painter
- George W. Egan, political figure from South Dakota.
- Greg Egan, author
- Jamie Egan, musician
- Jennifer Egan, the author of two novels, and many short stories for kids.
- Joe Egan, British rugby league footballer and coach.
- Joe Egan, singer and songwriter
- John Egan (CPR), General Superintendent during the completion of the Canadian Pacific Railway
- John Egan (Canadian politician) (1811-1857), a Canadian businessman and politician
- Kenny Egan, boxer
- Johnny Egan - basketball player and coach
- Kian Egan, singer, part of the band Westlife.
- Kieran Egan, author
- Mark Egan, a famous jazz musician in the 1990s.
- Matthew Egan, Australian Rules footballer
- Michael Francis Egan, first Catholic bishop of Philadelphia
- Pierce Egan, journalist
- Richard Egan (actor), American film actor
- Richard Egan (businessman), American businessman, ambassador
- Sam Egan, journalist and producer
- Seamus Egan, musician
- Sean Egan, the Gaim instant messenger project leader and a Google Talk software engineer.
- Susan Egan, American actress
- Ted Egan, Australian folk musician and Administrator of the Northern Territory
- Walter Egan, journalist
- Walter Egan, golfer
- William Allen Egan, former Governor of Alaska
is the given name of:
is a place name for:
is a school name: