Efes Pilsen Spor Kulübü
: Efes Pilsen Sport Club
) is a Turkish
club based in İstanbul
and sponsored by the Efes Beverage Group
. It is the most successful club in the history of the Turkish Basketball League
, having won the league's championship 12 times. Their home arena is the Abdi Ipekci Arena
Some of the well-known players that have played with the club over the years have included: Hedo Turkoglu, Mehmet Okur, and Anthony Mason.
basketball team won the first ever European title by a Turkish club in any team sport (Korac Cup
of 1996). Efes Pilsen also came 2nd in the European Cup of 1993, and reached the Final Four of Euroleague in 2000, finishing 3rd; and the Final Four of FIBA Suproleague
in 2001, finishing 3rd once again.
The club was founded in 1976 through a takeover of a second-division club which had failed due to financial problems, Kadıköyspor. It won the 1978 second division championship undefeated, earning promotion to the Turkish first division, where it has played ever since. In its first top-flight season (1978-79), Efes won the league title, immediately establishing itself as one of the country's top clubs.
The club's main claim to fame was winning the Korac Cup in 1996, marking the first-ever European title in a team sport by a Turkish club. More recently, it has become a fixture in the Euroleague, making the competition's Final Four in 2000 and narrowly missing the Final Four in each season from 2002 to 2006.
Current NBA player Hidayet Türkoğlu and former NBA player Mirsad Türkcan are products of Efes' youth program. Former Efes player Mehmet Okur also currently plays in the NBA and former Efes player İbrahim Kutluay briefly played in the NBA as well.
- Korac Cup Champion (1): 1995-96
- European Cup Runner-Up (1): 1992-93
- Euroleague Third Place (1): 1999-00
- Suproleague Third Place (1): 2000-01
- Euroleague Quarterfinalist (6): 1993-94, 1996-97, 1997-98, 1998-99, 2004-05, 2005-06
- Turkish League Champion (12): 1978-79, 1982-83, 1983-84, 1991-92, 1992-93, 1993-94, 1995-96, 1996-97, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05
- Turkish League Runner-Up (7): 1985-86, 1997-98, 1998-99, 1999-00, 2000-01, 2005-06, 2006-07
- Turkish Cup Champion (8): 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2007
- Turkish Cup Runner-Up (1): 2004
- Turkish President's Cup Champion (7): 1986, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2006
- For the results of Efes Pilsen in the European Cups, see Efes Pilsen SK in the European Club Competitions
Current squad 2008-09
- For a listing of past rosters, see Efes Pilsen SK past rosters.
Republic of Macedonia
Against the NBA
, Efes became the first Turkish basketball club to be invited to play NBA
teams. Efes competed against the Denver Nuggets
in Denver, Colorado
on 11 October
, and against the Golden State Warriors
in Oakland, California
on 13 October