The village is named after queen Edith of Wessex (1029–1075), the wife of Edward the Confessor and sister of Harold Godwinson. The church is St Mary the Virgin. The village pub is the Wheatsheaf on King Edward's Way.
St George's Barracks is located to the south and east of the village; this was previously RAF North Luffenham. This has housed the 1st Battalion of the Kings Own Royal Border Regiment but in August 2007 16th Regiment Royal Artillery, equipped with the Rapier FSC, moved here from Woolwich in southeast London.