The district was originally bounded to the west by a line running north from the mouth of the Gananoque River and to the east by Lower Canada. The district town was New Johnstown, later renamed Cornwall. In 1798, the district was reorganized to consist of the counties of:
At the same timer, the counties of:
were separated from this district to form the Johnstown District.
In 1816, Ottawa District was created by splitting off the counties of Prescott and Russell from this district.
In 1849, the district was replaced by the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry.