(Greek: Ανατολική Μάνη - Anatolikí Máni
) is a municipality in the prefecture of Laconia
. Its seat of administration is the village Kotronas
(Greek: Κότρωνας). The municipality is located in the eastern part of the Mani Peninsula
, near two promontories and is linked with a road encircling the eastern part of the peninsula and up to GR-37
(Areopoli - Gytheio - Sparta) about 10 to 15 km north. The mountains filled with rocks and grasslands lies to the west and farmlands are within the coastline and valley areas.
The town of Kotronas was founded in around 1500 BC. It emerged to become a major port. Kotronas was named by Homer
. Part of the Spartan navy
that sent out to Troy
was stationed there. When the Dorians
took over Laconia, Kotronas' role as a major port was replaced by Gytheio
. In the Roman period, Kotronas fell with the rest of Laconia to the Romans
. Under the Romans it enjoyed special privileges. In the Byzantine
period Kotronas was not mentioned. Kotronas suffered greatly from pirate raids.
In the 19th century Kotronas' population boosted. Now it has a population of 600.
Its economy relies on fishing, olive oil and tourism.
Geography and Information
- Longitude: 22.4985 (22°29'58") E
- Latitude: 36.62 (36°37'17") N
- Postal code: 230 66
- Centre: about 91 m
- Dialing code: 030-27330
|| Municipal Population |
|| - |
|| 2,024 |
Kotronas has a primary school, a church, and a square (plateia).
S ee also