is a character from the manga series, Saint Seiya
, authored by Japanese mangaka Masami Kurumada
, and later adapted to anime. Marin is a female Silver Saint of the Aquila (Eagle) constellation
, and Pegasus Seiya
's teacher when he was training to become a Saint.
- Ryū Sei Ken: (Meteor Punch) Marin's main attack. She hits with her fist hundreds times in one second to generate a punch burst, much like a meteor shower. This is the technique she taught Seiya, but because she was not the Pegasus Saint, her version was not called "Pegasus Ryu Sei Ken."
- Eagle Toe Flash: She used this attack to beat Hound Asterion, and it's like a really hard flying kick.
- Kū Ken: (Empty Fist) Not really an attack. It's referred to the time she had to fake in killing Seiya to help prevent Lizard Misty killing Seiya.
Marin is a Japanese Silver female Saint who resides in the Athena
Sanctuary, in Greece. She was separated from her little brother and she has been looking for him. When Seiya
went to the same place to train as a Saint, as Seiya was Japanese too, he was assigned to Marin, who was a hard trainer, but she could turn Seiya
into the Saint he is now. When Seiya
became a Bronze Saint, Marin had some rivalry problems with Ophiuchus Shaina
, but Seiya broke Shaina
's mask, and Shaina was forced to let him go.
When Gemini Saga, disguised as the Pope, ordered the Silver Saints to attack and kill the traitors Bronze Saints (the ones who had broken Athena's law about fighting because trivial reasons), Marin was ordered to go too. She went with Lacerta Misty, and with Mu's help deceived Misty, making him believe that she had killed Seiya. Misty discovered the truth, and fought with Seiya but was defeated by Seiya.
Marin came back with Hound Asterion and Whale Mozes to investigate what happened with Misty, and she was discovered by Asterion mind reading power. She quickly attacked Mozes, but with Asterion's help reading Marin's every move before she could attack, Mozes defeated her. Then she was tied to a post in the sea as a bait to attract Seiya. During the battle with Seiya, Moses said that Marin and Seiya could be siblings due to similar background and now Seiya can watch his possible long lost sister die and as Seiya became furious, he gathered more strength and defeated Mozes. When he was going to help Marin, Asterion stepped in and knocked out Seiya; during that time Marin untied herself and intervened to fight Asterion, as she cleared her mind with no thoughts, Asterion can no longer read her mind, as Asterion used his Million Ghost technique Marin countered and use her Eagle Toe Flash and defeated Asterion without killing him. She told Asterion to go back to sanctuary and send Pope a message then she disappeared for some time, she also left Seiya a message in the sand: "Protect Athena", secret message which later revealed Saori Kido is the true Athena.
The Truth is Revealed
During the fight with the Gold Saints, when Seiya was heading to Pope's
palace and was poisoned by Pisces Aphrodite
's Demon Roses along the stair way, Marin appeared to help him. She gave her mask to Seiya to help filter the scent of the roses, but without the mask to protect herself, she fainted. Seiya
recovered with the help of Marin's mask and blew away the roses with his Pegasus Ryuu Sei Ken, he didn't want to leave Marin alone and was tempted to look at Marin's true face (for rumor about Marin could be his sister), but Shaina
appeared and told Seiya that she will take care of Marin. When Marin recovered, she explained to Shaina that she had gone to Star Hill and she had discovered the real Pope Ares' corpse, so the truth about Saga's usurpation was revealed. Star Hill is only reserved to the Pope, only one with great power was able to climb to the top of it, so it took a real effort for a Silver Saint like Marin.
The Long Search
From that point on Marin disappeared for reasons unknown, but she reappeared in the last chapter during Bronze Saints' battle with Hades. She had been looking for Seiya's lost sister, Seika and found her. During Seiya's fight with Thanatos, Thanatos
showed Seiya where his real sister is and as Thanantos was trying to kill Seika to mock Seiya's humanly weakness, Marin, along with Shaina, Kiki and the bronze saints, jumped in and protected Seika with their gathered power.
Her story in anime version is much like the manga one, but with slight modifications. She is shown considerably weaker; she has problems beating some privates from the Sanctuary, and by giant with only brute force. She also appears in the anime only Asgard saga to help the saints, but she is beaten by Megrez Delta Alberich.
In the animation movie Tenkai-hen Jōso
, it's revealed her little brother is s called Tōma (斗馬, Horse of the North Star
) and he is one of the god's Angels, because he wanted to become a god. Tōma didn't want to love his sister because he thought it was a feeling too human, but in the end he recognize her.
Note: Tōma did appear in the prologue to the movie done by Kurumada, therefore his bond with Marin is considered canon.
Also, in the final parts of the Hades arc in the manga, Shaina mentions Marin's brother, not by name, but she also states that Seiya is not Marin's long lost brother, therefore Tōma was a pre-existing character in the Saint Seiya universe established by Kurumada.
She has a little appearance (by now) in the manga Saint Seiya: Episode G. She appears briefly to beat some Cronos
' minions, and later she fight against a giant, but she has to be rescued by Leo Aiolia
Eagle Silver Cloth
The Eagle (Aquila
) Cloth is one of the 88 of Athena's "army", the Saints. There are 3 ranges, and Aquila Cloth is in the second one, the Silver Saints, along with other 24 cloths. It represents an Eagle
with open wings.
There are only three differences between manga and anime version. The anime helmet is like a little eagle with open wings, but the manga one is a tiara with a little eagle in the forehead area. In the anime version, there is no protection for the pelvic area. The one pictured is the manga version with colour. As all silver cloths in the manga, it has the color of silver. Yet in the anime it's blue and white.
Aquila Myth and Constellation
In classical Greek mythology, it was identified as the eagle which carried the thunderbolts of Zeus and was sent by him to carry the shepherd boy Ganymede who he desired, represented by the neighbouring Aquarius, to Mount Olympus where he became the wine-pourer for all the gods. This explains why the largest moon of Jupiter was called Ganymede, Jupiter being the Roman name of Zeus.
Aquila, together with other constellations in the Zodiac sign of Sagittarius (specifically, Lyra, Cygnus), may be a significant part of the origin of the myth of the Stymphalian Birds, one of The Twelve Labours of Herakles.
For Constellation details, see Aquila (constellation)
- Along with Ophiuchus Shaina, Marin was the first Silver Saint introduced by Masami Kurumada in his manga, in vol. 1. But it wasn't after he introduced Lizard Misty as a Silver Saint, that he revealed Marin and Shaina's rank.
- It's known that every female Saint has to cover her face with a mask to renounce her female side. Marin's mask is the simplest one shown, with no signs or marks.
- She is the only female Saint who has never shown her whole face during the series; her eyes were obscured by her bangs when she gave Seiya her mask.
- In episode G, Aiolia is the one who seems to have a crush on her; however in the anime it is the other way around.
- In the manga she and Shaina are seen to be equal in power, but in the anime Shaina is seen to be a bit stronger than Marin. In one exchange, Shaina gives Marin a vicious beating.
- Marin and Shiana are the only known Silver Saints who are still alive at the end of the series.
- In the Poseidon arc, though Lyumnades Kaza's illusion on Pegasus Seiya showed Marin without her mask, supposedly really being Seika, (both in the manga and the anime), revealing her face, it can't be considered as her real face, since what Kaza did was look into Seiya's heart, drawing on his memories of his sister Seika.