Venetian Snares is the main performing alias of Canadian electronic musician Aaron Funk (born January 11, 1975).
From Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, Funk is known for making electronic music often in odd numbered time signatures (often 7/4). He is an unusually prolific artist, having released records on the History of the Future, Isolate/DySLeXiC ResPonSe, Addict, Zod, Distort, Sublight, Low-Res, Planet Mu and Hymen record labels.
Funk debuted on a record label in 1999 with the 12" vinyl EP, Greg Hates Car Culture. Prior to this, he self-released material on cassette tape as early as 1992.
Funk's first release was the EP Greg Hates Car Culture
, and released on History of the Future. His second album was Salt
on Zhark International and Fuck Canada / Fuck America
with Stunt Rock
for CLFST. When Mike Paradinas
heard Greg Hates Car Culture
, he immediately signed Funk for Planet Mu
. The first Venetian Snares LP on Planet Mu, Making Orange Things
(a co-production with Speedranch
), was released in early 2001; following in short order were five more releases, all before the end of 2002. Funk continued recording for a variety of labels, including Hymen Records
,Peace Off Records
, Addict Records
, and Sublight Records
, and has also recorded albums under the names Last Step and Vsnares, recorded singles under the names Last Step, Snares Man! and Snares, appeared on compilations under the names Ventriloquist Snakes, Last Step, Puff, and Senetian Vnares, and did a split with Fanny
under the name BeeSnares.
His style has been critically acclaimed, notably by the late British radio disc jockey John Peel.
Venetian Snares composes much of his music with trackers. Before he began to release his music commercially, he worked primarily with OctaMED on an Amiga 500. At some point prior to 2000, he began using a PC and the Windows port of OctaMED, MED Soundstudio. During 2003 and 2005 he also used Cubase in addition to MED. Today he also works with Renoise.
In a February 2003 interview, Funk was asked a question regarding the diverse mix of genres he draws upon in his music, a property which the interviewer labelled "eclecticism". Funk replied: "I prefer to call it Surrealism.
As Venetian Snares
- Eat Shit And Die (1998, split with DJ Fishead, self-release)
- Spells (1998, self-release)
- Subvert! (1998, self-release)
- printf("shiver in eternal darkness/n"); (2000, Isolate Records)
- Making Orange Things (2001, Planet Mu, collaboration with Speedranch)
- Songs About My Cats (2001, Planet Mu)
- Doll Doll Doll (2001, Hymen Records)
- Higgins Ultra Low Track Glue Funk Hits 1972–2006 (2002, Planet Mu)
- Winter in the Belly of a Snake (2002, Planet Mu)
- Find Candace (2003, Hymen Records)
- The Chocolate Wheelchair Album (2003, Planet Mu)
- Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding (2004, Planet Mu)
- Winnipeg Is a Frozen Shithole (2005, Sublight Records)
- Rossz Csillag Alatt Született (2005, Planet Mu)
- Meathole (2005, Planet Mu)
- Cavalcade of Glee and Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms (2006, Planet Mu)
- Hospitality (2006, Planet Mu)
- My Downfall (Original Soundtrack) (2007, Planet Mu)
- Detrimentalist (2008, Planet Mu)
12″s, 7″s, EPs, and mini-releases
- (1997, self-release)
- Greg Hates Car Culture (1999, History of the Future)
- Salt (2000, Zhark International)
- 7 Sevens.med EP (2000, Low Res)
- White Label (2001, Hangars Liquides)
- Defluxion / Boarded Up Swan Entrance (2001, Planet Mu)
- Shitfuckers!!! (2001, Dyslexic Response)
- The Connected Series #2 (collaboration with Cex) (2001, Klangkrieg)
- A Giant Alien Force More Violent & Sick Than Anything You Can Imagine (2002, Hymen Records)
- Badminton (2003, Addict Records)
- Einstein-Rosen Bridge (2003, Planet Mu)
- Nymphomatriarch (2003, Hymen Records, collaboration with Hecate)
- Moonglow / This Bitter Earth (2004, Addict Records)
- Horse and Goat (2004, Sublight Records)
- Infolepsy EP (2004, Coredump Records)
- Pink + Green (2007, Sublight Records)
- Miss Balaton (2008, Planet Mu)
As Snares Man!
As Last Step
12″s, 7″s, EPs, and mini-releases