This is a list of depictions of dyslexia in fiction. Films and other forms of visual media are arranged in chronological order.
Films (cinema and television)
- 2007 award - winning film from India, Taare Zameen Par (Hindi: तारे ज़मीन पर, Urdu: تارے زمین پر, translation: Stars on Earth) tells the story of Ishaan (Darsheel Safary) who suffers greatly in school until an art teacher (Bollywood superstar, Aamir Khan) determines that he is dyslexic. An international edition DVD (with subtitles) will be released on a future date by the The Walt Disney Company.
- 2007 American independent film, bAd tells the story of John who is failing the fifth grade until it is determined that he is dyslexic.
- 2006 British film, A Mind of Her Own tells the story of a dyslexic woman, Sophie, who is determined to become a doctor.
- 2005 American film, In Her Shoes: Maggie (Cameron Diaz). It is based upon Jennifer Weiner's 2002 novel, In Her Shoes.
- 2005 French film, La Cérémonie: Sophie (Sandrine Bonnaire)
- 2004 Canadian film, Wilby Wonderful: Duck MacDonald (Callum Keith Rennie)
- 2004 American independent film, Mean Creek tells the story of a group of boys who must contend with the school bully, a dyslexic boy named George (Josh Peck). Eventually, as George's mask disintegrates, he becomes the victim of the group.
- 2001 American film, Pearl Harbor: Captain Rafe McCawley (Ben Affleck)
- 1999 American television movie, Anya's Bell: Scott (Mason Gamble)
- 1992 American television movie, The Secret tells the story of Mike (Kirk Douglas) who has hidden dyslexia his entire life until he realizes that his grandson Jesse faces the same difficulties.
- 1985 American television movie, Love, Mary is based on the true story of Mary (Kristy McNichol) who is determined to be dyslexic by a counselor in an institution and who eventually becomes a doctor.
- 1984 American ABC After School Special, Backwards: The Riddle Of Dyslexia tells the story of Brian (River Phoenix) who struggles in school until he is determined to be dyslexic.
- 1981 American television movie, The Princess and the Cabbie tells the story of a wealthy young woman, Joanna (Valerie Bertinelli), who is sheltered by her father until a cab driver realizes that she is dyslexic and tries to help her.
Television series with dyslexic characters
- Goodnow, Cecelia. " Author Winkler turned the tables on dyslexia". Seattle Post-Intelligencer, May 17, 2007.
- Lakshmi, Rama. " The Pain of Dyslexia, As Told by Bollywood: Film on Disability Raises Awareness About Touchy Issue" Washington Post, June 4, 2008.
- Naithani, Ambika. " Taare Zameen Par inspires people, institutions into action" Economic Times. April 12, 2008.