The Battle of Dutch Harbor took place June 3 – June 4, 1942 and was an air and naval battle of the Aleutian Islands Campaign of World War II between Imperial Japanese Navy and United States Army and Navy forces.
In the battle, a Japanese aircraft carrier strike force under Kakuji Kakuta
launched air attacks over two days against the Dutch Harbor Naval Base and Fort Mears
in Dutch Harbor
. The attacks inflicted moderate damage on the U.S. base. Shortly thereafter, Japanese naval forces under Boshiro Hosogaya
invaded and occupied Attu
islands in the Aleutians
During the battle, a damaged Japanese Zero fighter plane crash-landed on a nearby island, killing the pilot but not seriously damaging the plane. U.S. forces recovered, inspected, and repaired the plane, a type that had proven very troublesome to the Allies in the war to date. The recovery was a crucial intelligence gain for Allied intelligence who were able to engineer aircraft capable of competing with it in aerial combat on more favourable terms.
References and further reading
- Cloe, John Haile (1990). The Aleutian Warriors: A History of the 11th Air Force and Fleet Air Wing 4. Missoula, Montana, U.S.A.: Pictorial Histories Publishing Co., Inc. and Anchorage Chapter – Air Force Association. ISBN 0-929521-35-8.
- Dickrell, Jeff (2001). Center of the Storm: The Bombing of Dutch Harbor and the Experience of Patrol Wing Four in the Aleutians, Summer 1942. Missoula, Montana, U.S.A.: Pictorial Histories Publishing Co., Inc.. ISBN 1-57510-092-4.
- Feinberg, Leonard (1992). Where the Williwaw Blows: The Aleutian Islands-World War II. Pilgrims' Process, Inc.. ISBN 0-9710609-8-3.
- Garfield, Brian (1969). The Thousand-Mile War: World War II in Alaska and the Aleutians. Fairbanks, Alasaka, USA: University of Alaska Press. ISBN 0-912006-83-8.
- Goldstein, Donald M.; Katherine V. Dillon (1992). The Williwaw War: The Arkansas National Guard in the Aleutians in World War. Fayettville, Arkansas, USA: University of Arkansas Press. ISBN 1-55728-242-0.
- Lorelli, John A. (1984). The Battle of the Komandorski Islands. Annapolis, Maryland, USA: United States Naval Institute. ISBN 0-87021-093-9.
- Morison, Samuel Eliot (1951 (Reprint 2001)). Aleutians, Gilberts and Marshalls, June 1942-April 1944, vol. 7 of History of United States Naval Operations in World War II. Champaign, Illinois, USA: University of Illinois Press. ISBN 0-316-58305-7.
- Parshall, Jonathan; Tully, Anthony (2005). Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway. Dulles, VA: Potomac Books. ISBN 1-57488-923-0.
- Perras, Galen Roger (2003). Stepping Stones to Nowhere, The Aleutian Islands, Alaska, and American Military Strategy, 1867 - 1945. Vancouver British Columbia: University of British Columbia Press. ISBN 1-59114-836-7.