Duffus is a village in Moray, Scotland, centred on a Mercat Cross. The Duffus Village Inn, along with the local shop, Post Office and Duffus Village Hall provide a focal point for the community. Nearby are the impressive remains of Duffus Castle.
Duffus has consecutively won numerous awards, including "Best Kept small village in the North of Scotland". Also to the east side is Gordonstoun which takes over 150 acres.
The annual Duffus Village Gala (held each summer) provides a whole host of activities for villagers and nearby settlements. Of the many events held during the Gala Day, the Ferret Racing and Gala Dance in particular attract visitors from around Moray.
The name of Duffus derives from the lands of Duffus in Morayshire, Scotland. What is presently known as Duffus Parish encompasses the lands of the ancient Barony of Duffus and comprises 9,565 acres. The Duffus name has undergone a variety of spelling changes through the years; in 1290, "Dufhus", and in 1512, "Duffous". The name is probably a compilation of two Gaelic words, dubh and uisg, meaning "darkwater" or "blackwater". At one time, the region was below sea-level and the Loch of Spynie and stagnant pools of water were a conspicuous feature of the area.
Duffus was the base of the regionally powerful de Moravia
family during the High Middle Ages
. The family was of Flemish
origin, and had been planted in Moray by the Scottish crown
as agents of royal authority, but had steadily built an independent power-base.
- Barrow, G.W.S., The Kingdom of the Scots. Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh, 2003. ISBN 0-7486-1803-1