The Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine was founded by Dr. William M. Scholl in 1912 as the "Illinois College of Chiropody and Orthopaedics." The Scholl family later endowed the college with several million dollars, and the name of the college was officially changed from the "Illinois College of Podiatric Medicine" to the "Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine," in honor of its founder and benefactor. After years of existence in downtown Chicago on Dearborn Street, the college relocated to North Chicago in 2001 to become a part of Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science. The college currently has an enrollment of some 400 students from all over the U.S. and Canada. The current Dean is Terence Albright, DPM.
SCPM houses the renowned Center for Lower Extremity Ambulatory Research (CLEAR) CLEAR is the most productive lower extremity research group in the world and hosts seminars and visiting clinicians/professors on a regular basis. The college also houses The Feet First Museum, dedicated to the legacy of Dr. William M. Scholl and the history of podiatric medicine in the United States.
The college is also the birthplace of Alpha Gamma Kappa National Podiatric Fraternity, established in 1939.