(born 1967) is a multiple award winning American
artist specializing in science fiction
Donato Giancola was born in 1967 and raised in Colchester, Vermont
, near Burlington, Vermont
. He then lived in Syracuse, New York
for 3 years while attending school, then in New York City after graduation, where he currently resides in Brooklyn
with his wife and two daughters.
At first, Giancola majored in electrical engineering at the University of Vermont, but left for Syracuse University to seriously pursue painting in 1989. He graduated with a fine arts major in 1992.
Giancola describes himself and his work as a 'classical-abstract-realist working with science fiction and fantasy' and lists Hans Memling, Jan Van Eyck, Velázquez, Caravaggio, Vermeer, Piet Mondrian, Rembrandt, Rubens and Titian as his favorite artists.
Giancola's work has won many awards and accolades with highlights including:
- World Fantasy Award: Best Artist, 2004.
- Eight Chesley Awards from the Association of Science Fiction & Fantasy Artists (ASFA) including their award for Artistic Achievement in 2002.
- Several Silver and Gold Awards as well as Honorable Mention from Spectrum's Best of Contemporary Fantastic Art.
- Hugo Award for Best Professional Artist, 2006, 2007; also nominated six times.
- Several Awards of Merit, Society of Illustrators, 'Our Own Show' exhibitions.
- Two Best of Shows Award and Best Professional Artist, Lunacon Science Fiction Convention
- Art Renewal Center, International Salon 2004, first place, figurative category.
- Magical Adventures: Fantasy Art from The Frank Collection, University of Maryland, College Park, 2004.
- Illustrators, The Society of Illustrators Annual Exhibition of Illustration, 128 East 63rd Street, New York, New York. 1999-2004.
- The Art of 'The Lord of the Rings', Exhibition of book cover and interior illustration, Bailey/Howe Library, University of Vermont, 2002.