Its primary infrastructure connections consist of the A37, west, connecting Bristol and Yeovil or the A371, east, connecting Shepton Mallet and Wincanton. It is situated near the River Brue which is crossed by Ansford bridge which dates from 1823. Boulter's Bridge which spans the River Alham is of medieval origin. The parish is close to the Roman Fosse Way.
It is home to Barber's Farmhouse Cheesemakers located at Maryland Farm.
The Abbey is a large house (formerly known as The Priory), built as the rectory by John Gunthorpe who was rector of Ditcheat, Dean of Wells and Lord Privy Seal, in 1473. The house was altered in 1667 for Christopher Coward; and given a new facade and rearranged internally in 1864-68, probably by James Piers St Aubyn for Rev. William Lier. The exterior is now mostly his Victorian neo-Tudor; inside there are reused fragments and some original 15th and 17th work – coffered ceilings and the arch-braced roof of the ‘chapel wing’, but most of the elaborate Gothic work dates from the 1860s.
Ditcheat House, or Ditcheat Manor is a 17th century manor house but has now been divided into flats.