Destruction are a German thrash metal band from Lörrach, in southern Germany. They are considered one of the three large bands of the Teutonic thrash metal scene; the others being Kreator and Sodom. The band were originally named "Knight of Demon", changing their name in 1984.
For most of the 1990s, Destruction were not signed to a major record label and was forced to self-produce their albums, until they signed a contract with Nuclear Blast in the 2000s.
Destruction was formed as "Knight of Demon" in Lörrach
in 1982. The original line-up featured vocalist and bassist Marcel "Schmier" Schirmer
, drummer Tommy Sandmann, and guitarist Mike Sifinger. They soon changed their name to "Destruction" and released a demo titled Bestial Invasion of Hell
in 1984. After this the group signed with Steamhammer Records
and released an EP titled Sentence Of Death
later that year.
Destruction released their first full-length album titled Infernal Overkill in 1985, followed by Eternal Devastation in 1986, Release from Agony in 1988, and Cracked Brain in 1990. In 1989, Marcel Schirmer was asked to leave the band due to creative differences and the group underwent a period of commercial deterioration. During the grunge explosion during the early to mid 1990s, the band lost their record label support and had to self-release and produce their own albums.
In 1999, Schirmer rejoined and things began to look up for the band as they signed a record deal with Nuclear Blast. They then released three more albums; All Hell Breaks Loose in 2000, The Antichrist in 2001, and Metal Discharge in 2003. The band would then sign with AFM Records and release Inventor of Evil in 2005. The band's latest album, D.E.V.O.L.U.T.I.O.N., is to be released in August 2008. In early 2009 Destruction is scheduled to tour around North America.
- Vocals, Bass: Marcel Schirmer (1983-1989, 1999-)
- Guitars: Mike Sifringer (1983-)
- Drums: Marc Reign (2001-)
- Vocals: André Grieder (1990)
- Vocals: Thomas Rosenmerkel (1993-1999)
- Guitars: Harry Wilkens (1983-1989)
- Guitars: Michael "Ano" Piranio (1993-1999)
- Drums: Tommy Sandmann (1983-1987)
- Drums: Oliver "Olly" Kaiser (1987-1999)
- Drums: Sven Vormann (1999-2001)
- Vocals: Peter "Biff" Byford (2005)
- Vocals: Doro Pesch (2005)
- Vocals: Stian "Shagrath" Thorensen (2005)
- Vocals: Bjorn "Speed" Strid (2005)
- Vocals: Paul Di'Anno (2005)
- Vocals: Messiah Marcolin (2005)
- Vocals: Mark Osegueda (2005)
- Vocals: Peavy Wagner (2005)
- Vocals: Peter Tägtgren (2000, 2005)
- All these artists, with Schmier, were featured on the same song, 2005's "The Alliance Of Hellhoundz", from the Inventor of Evil album, except for Tägtgren's vocals on "Total Disaster 2000", which was a song from the "All Hell Breaks Loose" album.
- Live Without Sense (1988/1989)
- Alive Devastation (2002)
- Bestial Invasion Of Hell (1984)
- The Butcher Strikes Back (1999)