These islands are separated from the remainder of the Andreanofs by Tanaga Pass to the east and from Amchitka and Semisopochnoi (the easternmost of the Rat Islands) by Amchitka Pass to the west. All of these islands are managed as part of the Aleutian Islands Unit of the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge. The Delarof Islands together have a land area of 165.349 km² (63.842 sq mi). None of the islands are populated.
The Delarof Islands were named by Captain Fyodor Petrovich Litke (1836, p 323) of the Imperial Russian Navy. He named them after Greek-born administrator Eustrate Ivanovich Delarov, who was director of the Russian American Company from 1784-1791.