The Georgian Colonial Revival-style hospital opened in 1957, having cost $4.5 million to construct. It was the second of nine hospitals planned by the Army during the building program following the Korean War. Two additional wings were planned to bring the capacity up to 500 beds.
The hospital today is a 46-bed JCAHO-accredited facility, and is the only military inpatient facility in northern Virginia. Major services include general medical and surgical care, neurology, pediatric medical and surgical care, obstetrics, orthopedics, and emergency department. It is the center of the DeWitt Health Care Network, which features the Rader Army Health Clinic at Fort Myer, Fort A.P. Hill, and the Family Health Centers of Woodbridge and Fairfax. The network joined the Walter Reed Health Care System in 1996.
A new hospital is slated for construction under BRAC 2005, and is expected to open in 2010.