The DeKalb County Public Library
is the public library
system of DeKalb County, Georgia
in the Atlanta metropolitan area
. Its collection includes over 750,000 books
; collections of over 400 magazines
and scientific journals
, and newspapers
; and audiovisual materials including videotapes
, and DVDs
. Library patrons can also access a variety of databases and online references through the GALILEO
nline) system. The library currently operates 22 branches located throughout the county, with construction of three additional branches planned by 2010.
As of 2007, the library served a population of over 710,000, of whom over 191,000 had library cards. The library system had over 180 full-time and about 50 part-time employees, and a budget of over $13 million.
List of branches
Planned new branches (by 2010):
- Northeast Plaza
The first public library in the county was opened in 1907, in Lithonia
. In 1925 a larger public library was founded in Decatur
, the county seat of DeKalb County. In 1952 branches of the Decatur Library were established in Brookhaven
, and the Decatur Library was renamed the Decatur-DeKalb Library.. The previously independent public library in Lithonia also joined the Decatur-DeKalb system, although the Lithonia library maintained a separate library board until 1971. As the DeKalb Regional Library System, the library provided services for neighboring Rockdale County
from 1951 to 1989, and also for Newton County
from 1953 to 1989; in 1989 the regional library system was disbanded and each of the three counties established its own separate library system..