De-shima or De-jima, artificial island, c.40 acres (16 hectares), Nagasaki prefecture, W Kyushu, Japan, in Nagasaki harbor. It has many docks and is connected by bridge to the city of Nagasaki. Dutch traders were restricted (1641-1858) to this island after Japan closed (17th cent.) its borders to foreign trade.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia Copyright © 2004.
Licensed from Columbia University Press