De Taali (Hindi: दे ताली, Urdu: دے تالی, translation: Give Applause) is a Bollywood film that stars Aftab Shivdasani, Ayesha Takia, Ritesh Deshmukh and Rimi Sen in the main roles. It is directed by E. Niwas and produced by Ravi Walia. The film revolves around three childhood friends who have grown together and when Rimi Sen comes in their life, the whole dynamics of their friendship changes. The film was initially titled Jalsa. De Taali was released on June 20,2008
Paglu (Ritesh Deshmukh
), Abhi (Aftab Shivdasani
) and Amu (Ayesha Takia
) are three best friends since childhood. Abhi's father (Anupam Kher
) is a very rich businessman and his only son Abhi has no interest in work. During the past Abhi has had many girlfriends but none of them loved him. Paglu and Abhi's father tells Amu to marry Abhi because they know each other very well. One day Abhi comes and tells Amu that he loves someone that is his childhood friend, Amu thinks that she is the girl that Abhi loves and she too falls in love with him. Abhi later reveals that a girl named Kartika (Rimi Sen
) is whom he loves. Amu is heartbroken. Amu and Paglu start hating her and try to get them both separated, Abhi gets angry with them and decides to marry her in some other country. At the airport Amu and Paglu kidnap Kartika and force her to write a letter to Abhi saying that she doesn't love him. Paglu tells Abhi that Amu is the right girl for her, and Abhi falls in love with her. Paglu, with Kartika still kidnapped, finds out that her name is Anjali, not Kartika. She is not in love with Abhi but with his money, because she has a history of cheating people. Paglu frees her and she goes and tells Abhi about the kidnapping. Abhi is unhappy hearing this and decides to marry Kartika anyway. On the marriage day, Paglu still tries to stop them from getting them married by bringing all the people she cheated; instead, Abhi gets angry and tells Paglu and Amu to get out. The next day, Abhi comes back, apologizes to them and tells him that he isn't married. He tells them that yesterday when they left Kartika told him that she has learned a lot from the time Paglu and Amu kept her in captivity and apologizes that she can't marry him and that Amu is the right girl for her. Abhi proposes to Amu. Later, Paglu ends up with the changed Kartika.
- The basic plot is lightly based on Dawson's Creek
- This film is also copy of hollywood movie Saving Silverman starring Amanda Peet, Jack Black and Jason Biggs which was based on a pair of buddies conspire to save their best friend from marrying the wrong woman. Amanda's role is played by Rimi Sen, Aftab plays Jason's Role, Reitesh Deshmukh plays Jack Black & Ayesh Takia is Amanda Detmer who was going to Nun in Saving Silverman....check it out...You will see the movie as indian says "inspired" by Saving Silverman....
- For a song sequence in De Taali, Aftab, Ayesha and Ritiesh were asked to jump off a 750-ft tall building. Besides skydiving, there was reverse bungee. Reverse bungee is where three people sit on a chair, are strapped up and then you are thrown up into the sky. It's a kind of reverse gravity where the person shoots up at fast speed.
- Ayesha Takia said that her co-star Aftab Shivdasani dropped her into the sea while on the jet-ski and she pledged never to forgive him for this.
- Raja Hasan of SaReGaMaPa has sung the song "Maari Teetri" in the movie
The film did not really take off at the box office. And to add to its woes the reviews were not too good either. However actor Riteish Deshmukh seems to have pleased everyone with his performance as he got some great reviews. Noyon Jyoti Parasara of AOL india said, "Truly this movie is Ritesh's. Ritesh has already established himself as a good comic actor and De Taali seconds that.