David John Eicher
(born August, 1961, Oxford, Ohio
) is an amateur astronomer and author. He is editor-in-chief of Astronomy
magazine, and author of popular astronomy and American History publications.
Eicher lives near Big Bend, Wisconsin, with his wife, Lynda Ann Tortomasi Eicher and son, Christopher David Eicher.
At age 14, Eicher was attracted to astronomy when he saw Saturn through a small telescope. In high-school, Eicher wrote for their astronomy club's newsletter. In 1977, at age 15, while a high school student, he published Deep Sky Monthly
, a journal for amateur astronomers.
In 1982, Eicher sold "Deep Sky Monthly", to AstroMedia Corp., the publisher of Astronomy
magazine. Astromedia changed the title to Deep Sky
Magazine. Eicher joined the staff of Astronomy
as an assistant editor and continued to edit Deep Sky
magazine until 1992 when the publisher, decided to discontinue the publication.
Eicher became chief editor of Astronomy magazine in 2002.
Eicher has written seven books on astronomical observing, including The Universe from Your Backyard (Cambridge University Press), Deep-Sky Observing with Small Telescopes (Enslow), and Stars and Galaxies (Kalmbach Books).
Eicher has written or edited hundreds of articles on astronomy. In addition to Astronomy, Eicher has written for USA Today, Civil War Times Illustrated, The Writer, Odyssey, Telescope Making, and Sky & Telescope magazines, and been quoted in TIME and Newsweek.
In 1990, the International Astronomical Union named a minor planet, 3617 Eicher, for Eicher in recognition of his service to astronomy.
Promotion of Astronomy
Eicher has appeared on CNN, CNN Headline News, Fox News Channel, WGN radio, National Public Radio, and other media outlets to promote the science and hobby of astronomy.
Civil War History
Eicher has written eight books on the subject, including Dixie Betrayed
(Little, Brown), The Longest Night
(Simon and Schuster), Civil War High Commands
(Stanford Univ. Press), and The Civil War in Books
(Univ. of Illinois Press).
- 50 Greatest Mysteries of the Universe (Kalmbach, 2007)
- Dixie Betrayed: How the Confederacy Really Lost the Civil War (Little Brown, 2006)
- Beginner’s Guide to Astronomy (Kalmbach, 2003)
- Gettysburg Battlefield: The Definitive Photographic History (Chronicle Books, 2003)
- The Longest Night: A Military History of the Civil War (Simon and Schuster, 2001)
- Civil War High Commands (coauthor, with John H. Eicher, Stanford University Press, 2001)
- Mystic Chords of Memory: Civil War Battlefields and Historic Sites Recaptured (Louisiana State University Press, 1998)
- Robert E. Lee: A Life Portrait (Taylor, 1997)
- The Civil War in Books: An Analytical Bibliography (University of Illinois Press, 1997)
- Civil War Battlefields: A Touring Guide (Taylor, 1995)
- Beginner’s Guide to Amateur Astronomy (Kalmbach, 1993)
- The New Cosmos: The Astronomy of Our Galaxy and Beyond (editor, Kalmbach, 1992)
- Galaxies and the Universe: An Observing Guide from Deep Sky Magazine (editor and coauthor, Kalmbach, 1992)
- Stars and Galaxies: Astronomy’s Guide to Observing the Cosmos (editor and coauthor, Kalmbach, 1992)
- Beyond the Solar System: 100 Best Deep-Sky Objects for Amateur Astronomers (Kalmbach, 1992)
- Civil War Journeys calendar (Tide-mark, 1990–2000)
- Deep Sky Observing with Small Telescopes (Enslow, 1989)
- The Universe from Your Backyard (Cambridge University Press, 1988)