David Richards (born March 1 1983 in Othello, Washington) is an American professional wrestler, better known by his ring name, Davey Richards. Richards is currently working for several promotions, most notably Pro Wresting NOAH,Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, Ring of Honor, IWA Mid-South, Full Impact Pro and ECCW.
Richards was an accomplished amature wrestler in high school, as well as studying Mauy Thai and Ju-Jitsu before entering professional wrestling.
Davey Richards debuted in 2004. In 2005, he began wrestling for Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
, where he unmasked Puma
. He would go on to face T.J. Perkins (the former Puma) in one-on-one as well as tag team
contests. Richards also competed against such stars as Rocky Romero
. In October 2005, Richards teamed up with Super Dragon
to win the PWG Tag Team Titles
. They held the titles for many months, defeating teams such as Disco Machine
, El Generico
and Quicksilver, Los Luchas, the Kings of Wrestling
, Arrogance, and Christopher Daniels
and AJ Styles
. They finally lost the titles to Arrogance (Chris Bosh
and Scott Lost
) in May 2006. On September 3, 2006 he became PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2006 tournament champion by defeating CIMA
from Japan's Dragon Gate
promotion in the finals. Davey Richards has stated that his goal in wrestling is to win the GHC Junior Heavyweight Championship
On April 8, Richards won the 2006 Super 8 tournament. He defeated Scott Lost, Milano Collection AT, and Charlie Haas. After winning this tournament, Richards began competing in many different organizations, including NWA Anarchy, Full Impact Pro, and Ring of Honor.
On November 17, 2006, Richards won the PWG World Tag Team Championship for a second time, teaming up with Roderick Strong to defeat the champions, B-Boy and Super Dragon. The next night, in the main event of the show, the duo lost the belt to the men they'd won them from.
On October 27, 2007, Night 2 of PWG's European Vacation II Richards and Super Dragon were able to defeat Kevin Steen and El Generico for the PWG World Tag Team Championships giving Richards his third reign, Dragon his fifth, and the teams second reign.
However, after no-showing the January 27th "Pearl Habra" show, Dragon and Richards were stripped of the titles, which were awarded to Joey Ryan and Scott Lost, and suspended for sixty days.
Ring of Honor
on June 3
, Richards made his ROH debut, defeating Jimmy Rave
. This loss upset Jimmy Rave, who challenged Davey to a rematch at In Your Face
, but under dangerous circumstances. The pre-match ritual of fans throwing toilet paper
at Rave turned dangerous when one roll hit the chandelier
above the ring, breaking some glass that scattered in the ring. Nevertheless, the two wrestled on that glass, resulting in numerous cuts on both men's bodies.
Soon after debuting in ROH, Richards was chosen as the American protégé of KENTA, a junior heavyweight from the Japanese promotion Pro Wrestling NOAH. On August 4, the two teamed together to face the Briscoe Brothers; Richards was pinned after a Spike Jay Driller. The next night, Richards faced his mentor in a one-on-one match at Fight of the Century; he was unable to secure a victory, ultimately falling victim to KENTA's go 2 sleep.
In early 2007, Roderick Strong turned on former Generation Next partner Austin Aries with the help of Richards. Together, the two formed the No Remorse Corps, later joined by Rocky Romero. The No Remorse Corps is involved in a feud with Aries's faction The Resilience.
On June 14, 2007, ROH announced in their Newswire that Richards would be making his debut in Japan on June 25 as a representative of ROH on a three week tour with Pro Wrestling NOAH. Davey Richards is teaming with 'American Dragon' Bryan Danielson in Pro Wrestling NOAH's NTV Jr Heavyweight Cup.
On January 26, 2008 Richards and fellow No Remorse Corps member Rocky Romero captured the ROH World Tag Team Championships from The Age of The Fall (Jimmy Jacobs and Tyler Black) in an Ultimate Endurance Match that also included The Hangmen Three (BJ Whitmer and Brent Albright) and Austin Aries & Bryan Danielson. They would hold onto the titles until April 12 when Mark and Jay Briscoe recaptured them at Injustice. On June 8, 2008 fellow No Remorse Corps stablemate Roderick Strong defeated Erik Stevens in a brutal Fight Without Honor to end their year long feud. Richards cut the celebrations short though, turning on Strong and joining Sweet & Sour Inc.
Insanity Pro Wrestling
Davey Richards debuted in Insanity Pro Wrestling on April 5
at the promotions Uprising event. There, he lost to Carlton Kaz. He then appeared at IPW's Legally Insane event on May 3
where he lost again to Dave Davidson and Jon Moxley. He is set to appear at the promotion's yearly Super Junior Heavyweight Tournament.
- Finishing and signature moves
- *Kimura / Keylock, sometimes with headscissors
- *Shooting star press
- *D.R. Driver (Double underhook piledriver, sometimes from the top rope)
- *D.R. Driver II (Double underhook brainbuster, sometimes from the top rope)
- *Horse Collar (Over the shoulder single leg Boston crab)
- *Go 2 Sleep 2.0 / Alarm Clock / Hammer of the Gods (Snap military press dropped into a lifting kick to the face)
- *Damage Reflex (Handspring enzuigiri)
- *Multiple suplex variations
- *Belly to belly
- *Belly to back suplex lift flipped into a kneeling belly to belly piledriver
- *Double knee backbreaker
- *Running powerslam
- *Multiple shoot kicks, sometimes to a seated opponent
- *Running sitout powerbomb
- *Snap DDT
- *Running elbow smash to a cornered opponent followed by a running lariat
- *Running big boot
- *Diving leg drop
- *Powerbomb (Dragon) / Double knee backbreaker (Richards) combination
- *Spike D.R. Driver II (Spike double underhook brainbuster)
- *Diving double foot stomp (Dragon) / Surfboard (Davey) combination
- *Standing double foot stomp to an opponent's head (Dragon) / Standing shooting star press (Davey) combination
Championships and accomplishments
- *AWA Washington Tag Team Champion (1 time) – with Tony Kozina
- *Super 8 Tournament winner (2006)
- *NWA Canadian Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with C-Flo
- *NWA Top Ranked Cruiserweight Championship (1 time)
- *PWG World Tag Team Championship (3 times) – Super Dragon (2) and Roderick Strong (1)
- *Battle of Los Angeles winner (2006)
- *ROH World Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Rocky Romero
- *Has an uncle that punched out a horse
- *Has an uncle that was featured on hit TV show COPS