Football in Thailand
is organized by Football Association of Thailand
Football is the most famous sport in Thailand. Although the professional football leagues are new to Thai people, football was introduced to Thailand as far back as 1897. Many Thais also watch football on local and paid-cable TV. Many matches, especially those in the English FA Premier League can be watched free on local channels. Thai channels broadcast every match of the 2006 World Cup.
In 2007, Thailand co-hosted the Asian Cup 2007 with three other countries. This was the second time the event had been held in Thailand, the first being in 1972.
was introduced into Thailand in 1897. In 1916, King Vajiravudh
founded "The Football Association of Thailand under Patronage of His Majesty the King
." After that the association joined the FIFA
in 1925 and AFC
Thailand national football team joined Olympic Games first time in Australia in 1956
The first football stadium, Suphachalasai Stadium, was built in 1935. King's Cup, the first football cup was introduced in 1968. And then two years later, Queen's Cup, a national cup competition, started in 1970.
Thai football competitions
Leagues and tournaments
League competitions in Thailand include :
For promotion to Division 2
- Football Royal Cup - (Division 3 A) For the general teams.
- Khǒr Royal Cup (ถ้วย ข.) - Division 3 - 1 A - The top two teams are promoted into Division 2.
- Khor Royal Cup (ถ้วย ค.) - Division 3 - 2 A
- Ngor Royal Cup (ถ้วย ง.) - Division 3 - 3 A
- Provincial League - (Division 3 B) For provincial teams around the country. This competition is organized by the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT). It's divide to 5 regional consist of Central, Eastern, Northern, Northeastern (Isan), Southern. The winners and the runner-ups from each regions will play in SAT Championship playoffs in the tournament at the end of a season. The top two teams are promoted into the Division 2.
(See also: Thai football league system for the additional detail about league system.)
- FA Cup - an annual match of football clubs in Thailand.
- Queen's Cup - an annual national football cup competition.
- Kor Royal Cup (ถ้วย ก.) - an annual match between the champions and the runner-ups of the Premier League
- King's Cup - an annual international football competition for national teams.
Other famous competitions
Youth football is very popular in Thailand, with several competitions and clubs being active.
Bangkok Soccer League
is a youth football club organised for children attending international schools in Thailand and provides regualr football for over 500 kids, both Thai and expat.
Thai famous players