, who is from Leicester
, has been a trance music DJ
since 1994 and is considered one of the founders of the trance genre . He is also a member of Lost Tribe
with Red Jerry
. He is perhaps best known for his work in the Euphoria
trance series and for "Gamemaster" (as Lost Tribe) and his remixes of and Agnelli & Nelson
's "El Niño".
In 2005, his first major U.S. albums, an EP, Point Zero (featuring the Li Kwan song of the same name), and a double album, Upfront Trance, were released. His works have sold a total of over 2 million copies. His ex-girlfriend, Marcella Woods, is often a guest vocalist on his recordings.
Darey frequently performs his trance sets at UK clubs such as Gatecrasher and Slinky, and over the internet through a monthly show on Digitally Imported's European Trance station. On August 13, 2005, he debuted a new show on Digitally Imported called Nocturnal, which became a weekly show in April 2006. Since Nocturnal became a weekly show, Darey has had guests such as Sasha, Tiësto, Paul Van Dyk, Paul Oakenfold, Freemasons, D.Ramirez, Freeform Five & Ferry Corsten perform guest mixes during the second hour of the show each week. Now the Nocturnal show is broadcast by 116 FM around the globe.
In May 2007 he also started a monthly Podcast called Nocturnal Podcast. Every podcast can be downloaded for free from Darey's homepage. The Nocturnal Podcast was nominated for the best podcast at Winter Music Conference in Miami in 2008.
His single, Beautiful Day, featuring Antoine & Marcia Juell, became a club hit in the US, reaching the top 25 on Billboard's Hot Dance Music Club Play and hitting the top 20 on the Hot Dance Airplay chart.
Darey owns a record label, Darey Products, featuring releases from himself and upcoming artists.
Matt Darey wrote the unreleased Deuce track 'Rock The Disco', set to be the 1st single from their second album early in 1996. It has since surfaced on the internet in 2007.
Albums and EPs
These are the albums that Matt Darey has released under his own name, as opposed to the albums by "various artists" that he has mixed.
- Voice of an Angel EP (2004, Incentive Records)
- Voice of an Angel (Michael Woods vs. Matt Darey Remix)
- Electro Buzz
- Nocturnal Delight
- Point Zero EP (2005, Water Music Records)
- Li Kwan - Point Zero (Matt Darey Mix)
- Liberation 2004 (Darey vs. Woods Mix) (Listed as track 4)
- Lost Tribe - Possessed (Matt Darey Mix) (Listed as track 5)
- Lost Tribe - Gamemaster (Michael Woods Mix) (Listed as track 2)
- Marcella Woods - Beautiful (Original Mix) (Listed as track 3)
- Nocturnal Delight (Sandler Mix)
This EP also includes videos for "Beautiful" and "U Shine On".
- Decade (2004; also released a 200-copy limited-edition version)
- Li Kwan - Point Zero (2004 remake)
- Nocturnal Delight (Sandler Remix)
- Lost Tribe - Gamemaster (Michael Woods Mix)
- Electro Buzz
- Lost Tribe - Possessed (Matt Darey Vocoder Mix)
- Nocturnal Delight (Matt Darey Mix)
- Adam White - Ballerina (Duberina Mix)
- DSP - Intoxicate
- DSP - From Russia With Love (Solar Stone Mix)
- Matt Darey & Marcella Woods - Beautiful (Matt Darey Original Mix)
- Matt Darey & Marcella Woods - Liberation (Ferry Corsten Mix)
- Matt Darey & Marcella Woods - Voice of an Angel
- Matt Darey & Marcella Woods - Liberation (2004 Chilled Mix)
- Urban Astronauts - EP1 (31 March 2008; Koch Records) The debut EP from Matt Darey's new rocktronica project Urban Astronauts is to be released featuring 3 singles:
- This Way
- No Submission
Note: Most of these are currently out of print.
- Li Kwan - Point Zero (1994)
- Lost Tribe - The Distant Voices EP (1997 - Hooj Choons)
- Lost Tribe - Gamemaster (1999 - Hooj Choons) #24 UK
- Liberation (1999) #19 UK
- This is the first track that Darey released under his own name. This version of Liberation (Fly Like an Angel) included two mixes by Ferry Corsten, one by Darey, and the original mix. Darey has since made new mixes of the song almost annually, and he includes the year of the remix in the title.
- DSP - From Russia with Love (2000 - Liquid Asset) #40 UK
- Beautiful (2000, with Marcella Woods) #21 UK
- Liberation (2001)
- Beautiful (2002, with Marcella Woods) #10 UK
- U Shine On (2002, with Marcella Woods - Incentive Records) #34 UK
- Lost Tribe - Gamemaster (2003 remake of the 1999 single - Liquid Asset) #61 UK
- Lost Tribe - Possessed (2004 - Darey Products)
- Nocturnal Delight (2004 - Incentive Records)
- Liberation 2005 (2005; 2 CDs with 13 remixes of the song - Darey Products)
- Headstrong - Close Your Eyes (2005 - Darey Products)
- Eternity (2005 - Darey Products)
Matt Darey is a prolific remixer using a number of aliases. His mixes have featured on many chart releases including but not limited to.
These are some of the compilations that Darey has mixed, aside from the ones that he released under his own name.
- Ibiza Euphoria (2000)
- Pure Euphoria
- The Very Best of Euphoria (2002, mixed by Darey)
- Upfront Trance double album (2005, Water Music Records)
- Ultimate Trance (Mixed by Matt Darey) (2005)
- Nocturnal album (Mixed by Matt Darey) (September 2007)
N-Gen Racing Game Soundtrack