56 Pro is a Limited Edition re-issue of the U2
model made by Danelectro in the mid 50's.
Although a re-issue, the Danelectro 56 Pro has some distinctive changes from the original models, these changes include:
- The headstock shape, It has a slight cut out on the 56 Pro.
- No vinyl which bound the sides of the guitar on the originals.
- Master Tone & Volume, rather than the Danelectro trademark concentric "Stacked" pots.
- An upgraded bridge with adjustments for intonation.
- Higher output lipstick pickups than the originals and the first reissues.
- Metal strap buttons to replace the plastic ones of previous models (also, top button is now on the upper bout of the body rather than it's original position on the treble side of the neck)
- Black necks rather than the matched neck and body colour of the originals and first reissues.
- Reshaped pickguard (longer and wider than the original design). Also lacks the silk-screened outline and 'D' logo
- Modern "Schaller" style tuners
Vintage Guitar Magazine reviewed the 56 Pro in their June 2005 issue, saying "In all, the 56 Pro is a very cool retro axe with a quality fit and finish, easy playability and that unmistakable Danelectro tone and vibe."