Dalziel Llewellyn Hammick FRS
(born 8 March 1887
, West Norwood
, died 17 October 1966
), was an English research chemist
. His major work was in synthetic organic chemistry. He promulgated Hammick's rule
, which predicts the order of substitution in benzene
derivatives, while the Hammick reaction
is used in the synthesis of larger molecules.
The son of L. S. H. Hammick, Dalziel Hammick was educated at Whitgift School
, Magdalen College
(where he was a demy
), and at the University of Munich
. He graduated BA
in Natural Sciences
in 1910 and MA
After some ten years as a schoolmaster at Gresham's
, in 1920 Hammick was elected to a fellowship of Oriel College, Oxford
, where he remained until his death in 1966. For most of his time at Oriel, he was also a lecturer in natural sciences at Corpus Christi College
His early research was on inorganic substances. He studied sulphur and its compounds and suggested structures for liquid and plastic sulphur. In 1922 he showed that the polymer polyoxymethylene results from the sublimation of trioxymethylene. It was not until the 1960s that this polymer was to be used commercially.
He also translated scientific books from French into English.
His work was honoured by election as a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1952.
- An Introduction to Organic Chemistry by Dalziel Llewellyn Hammick (London, Bell, 1921)
- Atoms, by Jean Perrin, translated by Dalziel Llewellyn Hammick (London, Constable, 1916, reprinted Ox Bow Press 1990) ISBN 0-918024-78-1
- numerous papers in the Journal of the Chemical Society and the Journal of the American Chemical Society
Hammick married and had a son and two daughters. The family moved into The Grey Cottage, Old Road, Headington
, near Oxford, in 1923, which was also the year of the birth of Hammick's younger daughter, Judith.
- D. L. Hammick at cartage.org
- Bowen, E.J., Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society (1967) Volume 13, pages 107-124
- The Biographical Dictionary of Scientists: Chemists. ed. David Abbott (Peter Bedrick Books, New York, 1983)
- Russell, A. S., 'Dr. D. L. Hammick' in Nature, Volume 212, Issue 5063, (1966) pp. 674 ()