Friedrichstadt was completely planned and constructed in the middle of the 19th century. After it was planned completely in a tesselated paradigm, in 1854 the construction began. It got its name in honour to King Frederick William IV of Prussia. In the beginning it was a bit swampy, but after a short while it developed well and became a borough mainly for officers and public clerks. Until today in Friedrichstadt there is a lot of built volume is of Wilhelminian style.
The idea of the Garden City was another concept proved in Friedrichstadt. The garden architect Maximilian Weyhe disigned two parks with ponds in Friedrichstadt. In 1880 the Parliament of the Prussian Rhine Province got its seat in the Ständehaus (House of States) in Friedrichstadt. Until the year 1988 the State Parliament of North Rhine-Westphalia was in the Ständehaus. Actually an Arts museum is in that building.
This article is based on a translation of an article from the Hauptseite.