The name Benrath came from the "Knights of Benrode". The settlement was mentioned for the first time in 1222. The first church of Benrath was constructed in 1002. In the 14th century Benrode belonged to the Counts of Berg. The village developed parallel to the castle. The old Church St. Cäcilia was built in that time. Benrath is a place of pilgrimage for Roman Catholic Christians.
In the time of Industrial Revolution Benrath grew very fast, because Benrath lied next to an important railway connection.
In 1929 Benrath became a part of Düsseldorf.
Benrath is in the South of Düsseldorf. It has an area of 5.90 km² and 15,900 inhabitants. The Benrath Railway Station is actually still a regional station.
In the German language theory the Benrath line is the border line between the Northern German and the Southern German idiom, although on both side of the line there is a Rhinish dialect. It is also called "maken-machen-line", for south of it former "maken" ((to) make, do) changed to "machen" with the High German consonant shift.