USS Cuttyhunk Island (AG-75/AKS-23) was a Belle Isle-class miscellaneous auxiliary acquired by the U.S. Navy during World War II. Cuttyhunk Island was built as the war was coming to an end, and was used as a transport. She was later classified as a stores ship and eventually scrapped.
Constructed at Portland, Maine
(AG-75) was launched 26 November 1944
by New England Shipbuilding Corporation
, South Portland, Maine
, under a U.S. Maritime Commission
contract; sponsored by Mrs. M. M. Dayo.
World War II-related service
was acquired by the Navy 7 December 1944
; outfitted at Eureka Shipbuilding Corp., Newburg, New York
; and commissioned 1 September 1945
, Lieutenant Commander N. G. Hole-man, USNR
, in command.
departed Norfolk, Virginia
, 24 November 1945
to carry troops from Bermuda
to Boston, Massachusetts
She reported to Orange, Texas
, 31 January 1946
, and there was placed out of commission in reserve 3 May 1946
. She was reclassified General Stores Issue Ship AKS-23
, 18 August 1951