Gloucester Township was formed on June 1, 1695, while the area was still part of Gloucester County, and was incorporated as one of New Jersey's first 104 townships by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798. It became part of the newly-created Camden County on March 13, 1844. Portions of the township have been taken over the years to form Union Township (November 15, 1831), Winslow Township (March 8, 1845) and Clementon Township (February 24, 1903).
There were 23,150 households out of which 37.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.9% were married couples living together, 12.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.1% were non-families. 21.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.75 and the average family size was 3.24.
In the township the population was spread out with 26.9% under the age of 18, 8.7% from 18 to 24, 33.0% from 25 to 44, 22.0% from 45 to 64, and 9.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 94.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.6 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $54,280, and the median income for a family was $62,992. Males had a median income of $42,451 versus $31,427 for females. The per capita income for the township was $22,604. About 4.4% of families and 6.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.7% of those under age 18 and 5.4% of those age 65 or over.
The Gabreil Daveis Tavern House, located at 4th Avenue in Glendora, is a pre-American Revolutionary War tavern that was built in 1756 and for many years served as an inn for boatmen who transported their products to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania via nearby Big Timber Creek. It was recently restored and now serves as Gloucester Township's historical centerpiece. This building has also been referred to as The Hillman Hospital House because it was designated a hospital by George Washington during the Revolution. In November 1773, Betsy Ross, at the age of 21, eloped across the Delaware River to Gloucester, and was married at the tavern. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is open to visitors on Sunday afternoons, from 1 to 4 , from April through December, excepting holidays.
The Mayor of Gloucester Township is Cindy Rau Hatton. Members of the Gloucester Township Council are Council President Glen Bianchini, Council Vice President Orlando Mercado, Crystal Evans, Ken Garbowski, Dan Hutchison, Shelley Lovett and Franklin Schmidt.
For grades 9 through 12, there are three high schools that are part of the Black Horse Pike Regional School District: Highland Regional High School (1,206 students), Timber Creek Regional High School (1,489 students) and Triton Regional High School (1,523 students). Students from Gloucester Township attend one of the three schools based on their residence. Students from the other two communities in the district — Bellmawr and Runnemede — all attend Triton High School.
Also available in the Township is the Gloucester Township Technical High School, which offers day and evening classes.
Camden County College is located in Blackwood, the heart of the municipality. Over 44 programs of study ranging from allied health to engineering technology and science, laser and optics, public safety, business administration, liberal arts, human services and secretarial studies are available. Other programs include a GED center, self-enrichment and senior adult courses. Evening and weekend classes, including computer programming are offered. Local residents may use the college's learning resource center to receive dental hygiene clinic services.