The Bluebell Railway is a heritage line running for nine miles along the border between East Sussex and West Sussex, England. Steam trains are operated between Sheffield Park and Kingscote, with an intermediate station at Horsted Keynes.
The railway is managed and run largely by volunteers. It has the largest collection of steam locomotives after the National Railway Museum (NRM), and a collection of carriages and wagons unrivalled in the south of England. In addition to the 30 locomotives resident on the line, one is on loan from the NRM (another has recently returned there), and a project is well under way to recreate a long-lost type of locomotive (a London, Brighton and South Coast Railway H2 Class Atlantic) from a few surviving parts.
The Bluebell Railway was the first preserved standard gauge steam-operated passenger railway in the world: it opened on 7 August 1960, shortly after the line from East Grinstead to Lewes had been closed by British Railways. It also preserved a number of steam locomotives even before the cessation of steam service on British mainline railways in 1968.
2007 marked the railway's 125th anniversary.
In 1877 an Act of Parliament was passed to authorise the construction of the Lewes and East Grinstead Railway (L&EGR). The line was sponsored by a number of local landowners, including the Earl of Sheffield. A year later an Act of 1878 enabled the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway Company (LB&SCR) to acquire and operate the new line.
The line had six stations, but only the station at Barcombe was within walking distance of an existing village: the remaining five were in thinly populated areas. Chailey parish had two stations, one at Sheffield Park and the other at Newick and Chailey. It was traditional at that time for a rural railway line that was supported by a private company or notable individuals to have stations sited in close proximity to the residences of its sponsors. Thus Sheffield Park station was built for the Earl of Sheffield, and Newick and Chailey for Newick Park and Reedens, the residences of two other sponsors. The other stations on the line were at Kingscote, West Hoathly and Horsted Keynes. A branch line ran from a junction at Horsted Keynes to Ardingly and Haywards Heath on the LB&SCR main line.
Significantly, the 1877 and 1878 Acts included a clause stating that:
Four passenger trains each way daily to run on this line, with through connections at East Grinstead to London, and to stop at Sheffield Bridges, Newick, and West Hoathly.This imposed a legal requirement on the railway owner to provide a service, and it emerged much later that the only way to remove this obligation was to pass another Act of Parliament to rescind it.
After the passage of the 1878 Act, the new line opened in 1882, with the usual pomp and ceremony and a great deal of celebration. The whole line from East Grinstead was built to take double track, which was actually laid between East Grinstead and Horsted Keynes; however, south of the junction at Horsted Keynes the line was only single track with passing loops at the stations. Like a number of rural branch lines of that era, as well as conveying passengers a substantial quantity of local produce was transported: milk, farm products and coal, and timber to and from Albert Turner & Son, a local sawmill. Curiously, the only time Sheffield Park station received a substantial number of passengers was when Lord Sheffield entertained the Australian Cricket Team, with the inevitable match between them and Lord Sheffield's own team.
As early as 1954, and certainly long before Dr Richard Beeching (whose programme of railway closures and service cuts became known as the Beeching Axe) became Chairman of the British Railways Board, the Branchline Committee of British Railways had submitted a proposal to close the section of line from East Grinstead to Culver Junction near Lewes. This was challenged by local residents, but eventually the closure was sanctioned in February 1955, and a closure date fixed for 28 May 1955. The ensuing battle fought between British Railways and the users of the "Bluebell Line" (as it was known) became infamous, as a result of four years of acrimonious argument which the transport users conducted in opposition to the Transport Authorities.
Shortly after the closure a local resident of Chailey, Miss Margery Bessemer, discovered in the wording of the 1877 and 1878 Acts the clause (mentioned above) relating to the "Statutory Line", and demanded that British Railways honour this legal obligation and reinstate the services required by the Acts. On 7 August 1956 British Railways was forced to re-open the line, and so began the "Sulky Service", with the trains only stopping at the stations mentioned in the Acts. Meanwhile, in 1957 British Railways took the case to the House of Commons, resulting in a Public Inquiry. British Railways were sternly censured, but later the Transport Commission was able to persuade Parliament to repeal the special section of the Act. By this means the line was again, and this time finally, closed on 17 March 1958.
Spring 1959 saw the formation of the Lewes & East Grinstead Railway Preservation Society, the forerunner of today’s Bluebell Railway Preservation Society. Its initial aim was to re-open the whole line from East Grinstead to Culver Junction, and to run it as a commercial service. This was envisaged as using a diesel railcar, a two-car DMU, as soon as funds allowed. These plans sadly came to nothing, for two reasons: firstly, the Society failed to purchase the whole line; and secondly, most local residents were not that interested. So in the interim, the re-opening of the section of line from Sheffield Park to Bluebell Halt just south of Horsted Keynes (which was at first leased and eventually purchased from British Railways) as both a steam railway and museum was planned and approved.
The Bluebell Railway Preservation Society completed an initial extension from Horsted Keynes to Kingscote in 1994, which included re-laying track through Sharpthorne Tunnel (731 yards/668 metres, the longest on a UK heritage railway), and is now working to reinstate the remaining two miles of line from Kingscote to East Grinstead.
Work has now started on the final northwards push towards East Grinstead, where the line will once again connect with the National Rail network. A major problem to be overcome is the former landfill site that fills a 50 metre deep cutting for part of the route. Some 300,000 cubic metres of rubbish will be removed by convoys of road freighters. Some of the excavated clay will being taken south by rail to help fill the site of a removed bridge and embankment on the old Ardingly spur. In January 2008 agreement was given to start the clearance of foliage on the section of the tip between Imberhorne Lane and Hill Place bridges. This work has now been completed.
It is hoped that in the future the Ardingly spur will also reconnect with National Rail, and thus gain access to the London to Brighton main line at Copyhold Junction. This will restore a bypass of the London–Brighton line which proved very useful in the past (during the Second World War the signal box at Horsted Keynes was manned night and day to provide an alternative route for troop trains). There is also occasional speculation about long-term plans to extend south towards Lewes; but the removal of the road bridge just south of Sheffield Park station, the in-filling of the cutting and route under the A272 road, and the housing development that was built on the site of Newick & Chailey station makes this idea a very distant prospect. Nevertheless the remaining undeveloped section of the line from Lewes to Sheffield Park has been safeguarded from development prejudicial to its use as a bridleway and footpath, leaving open the possibility that the whole line may one day reopen to services.
The stations have been restored to show different periods of the railway's life. Sheffield Park has been restored to a generally Victorian ambience, as it would have appeared during the time of the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (up to 1922); Horsted Keynes tries to emulate the style of the Southern Railway (1922–1948); and Kingscote echoes the early British Railways period of the 1950s.
Between Horsted Keynes and Kingscote the line passes through the site of West Hoathly station, at the north end of Sharpthorne Tunnel. The West Hoathly station buildings and footbridge were demolished piecemeal between 1964 and 1967, and the site is now in the middle of a modern housing development, so remains closed in deference to the wishes of the local residents. The remains of the platforms and goods dock are still visible at the lineside.
The Bluebell Railway has been used as the location for several films and television programmes.
The Bluebell Railway is also featured in The Railway Series written by the Rev. W. Awdry. The book was called Stepney the "Bluebell" Engine, with Stepney as the main character, visiting the fictional Island of Sodor.
The line originally extended beyond Sheffield Park to Culver Junction (at Culver Farm just south of Barcombe Mills), with intermediate stations at Newick and Chailey and Barcombe. At Culver Junction it joined the 1858 Lewes to Uckfield line (part of which is now restored as the Lavender Line), thereby gaining access to Lewes. The section from East Grinstead to Culver Junction was closed in 1958, and the Lewes to Uckfield line in 1969.
|GWR||2-6-2T||Large Prairie||No 5199. On loan from Llangollen Railway for a year.|
|SECR||0-6-0||Wainwright Goods||No 592. Returned to traffic on 8 Oct 2007.|
|No 1638. Returned to traffic in 2006 following an extensive restoration from Barry Scrapyard condition; Boiler ticket expires in 2016.|
|GWR||4-4-0||Dukedog||No 9017 Earl of Berkeley. Returned to traffic in 2003 after an overhaul which included a number change.|
|BR||2-6-4T||Standard 4 Tank||No 80151. Returned to traffic in 2001 and is in regular use; boiler ticket expires in 2011.|
|LBSCR||0-6-0T||Stroudley Terrier||No 672 Fenchurch. Returned to traffic in 2001 after a rebuild and is in use on Victorian trains; Boiler ticket expires in 2011.|
|SECR||0-6-0||O1 Class||No 65. Returned to traffic in 1999 and is in regular use on Victorian passenger trains; Boiler ticket expires in 2009.|
|LBSCR||0-6-2T||E4||No 32473 Birch Grove. Undergoing overhaul, last worked in 2008, planned to be painted SR Green once finished.|
|No 178. Undergoing restoration. The frames are nearly finished but work is focussed on the boiler which is having work done on the firebox and boiler with the stays and front tubeplate and tubes receiving attention. Expected to be steaming in 2009.|
|SR||4-6-0||S15||No 847. Undergoing overhaul by the Maunsell Locomotive Society, the wheels are back from re-tyring and attention to the axleboxes. They have been painted and should be fitted once the springs are fitted. The frames have been cleaned and painted, the cab and motion are receiving attention and the boiler is having its stays replaced; this work is planned to be completed in 2008.|
|SR||4-6-2||Rebuilt Bulleid Light Pacific||No 34059 Sir Archibald Sinclair. Restoration from Barry Scrapyard condition is nearing completion. The completed boiler and smokebox are in the frames. Planned to be finished in 2008.|
|Fletcher Jennings||0-4-0T||No 3 Baxter. The frames have been re-wheeled and now require the motion and final painting. Boiler has had all welding done and new tubes fitted. Somkebox had been fully repaired and is now being painted. Once complete the engine will be fitted with vacuum brakes for the first time. This work is being undertaken at a slower rate to other restorations although a return to steam in late 2008 or 2009 is likely.|
|LBSCR||4-4-2||Atlantic||No 32424 "Beachy Head". Work on the frames is currently under way with new holes being drilled into the tender frames. Re-tubing of the boiler is also in progress.|
|Standard Class 2||No 78059 (will be 84030). Construction of the engine is under way, with work currently focused on the frames.|
|BR||4-6-0||5MT||No 73082 Camelot. Withdrawn in 2005 for a ten-yearly overhaul, the Camelot Locomotive Society are currently dismantling things like the brake gear and have already finished the tender. A boiler lift took place in late 2007, and it is hoped that the engine can be back in service again in 2010/11. This will occupy space in the works when 34059 is completed.|
|SR||4-6-2||West Country||No 21C123 Blackmore Vale. Returned to traffic 2000 and used on passenger trains; boiler ticket expires 2010 but recurring boiler and firebox problems prompted early withdrawal in June 2008.|
|LBSCR||0-6-0T||Stroudley Terrier||No 55 Stepney. Stored awaiting overhaul, will require new cylinders, boiler certificate expired in 2008.|
|BR||4-6-0||Standard Class 4||No 75027. On display at Sheffield Park awaiting overhaul. Withdrawn February 2007 due to recurring failures. Depending on condition may be looked at when work on 73082 is complete.|
|LSWR||0-4-0T||Adams Dock Tank||No 96 Normandy. Shunted stock regularly until July 2006 when its boiler ticket expired. Funds now being raised and overhaul is expected to start in the not so distant future. Currently visiting Barrow Hill Roundhouse.|
|NLR||0-6-0T||Class 75||No 58850. Awaiting overhaul. Was on display at Barrow Hill Roundhouse until 2006 when it was moved back to the Bluebell, initially as a replacement for 96, although it also has yet to receive any major attention.|
|BR||2-10-0||9F||No 92240. Withdrawn in December 2002 for a ten-yearly overhaul with work required on the firebox and front tubeplate. Presently on display at Sheffield Park Station with no immediate plans for a return to steam until at least after 73082 is completed.|
|SECR||0-4-4T||Class H||No 263. Stored on static display, last worked in 1998. No work has been undertaken but overhaul is more likely now that it is owned by the Bluebell Trust .|
|LSWR||4-4-2T||Adams Radial Tank||No 488. Static display in Sheffield Park display shed with a whole new boiler barrel needed and cracks in at least one wheel set. As such, despite the many pleas to work on her, no work has been done on this fine looking machine but the completion of an LSWR Coach in 2009 could push the engine further up the overhaul queue.|
|SR||4-4-0||Schools Class||No 928 Stowe. Owned by the Maunsell Locomotive Society, its tender has recently had a new body fitted making it fit for display. Overhaul was planned to start once No 847 is completed but 541 now has higher priority as it can be returned to service more quickly.|
|SR||2-6-0||Maunsell U class||No 1618. Last worked in 1994 and is on static display awaiting overhaul. With classmate 1638 in traffic, 1618 has slipped down the overhaul queue.|
|SR||0-6-0||Maunsell Q Class||No 541. The best of all the Maunsell Locomotive Society engines. Sadly it has not worked for a while, but an overhaul is planned, after 847 has been completed.|
|SR||0-6-0T||USA Class||No 30064. Recently been painted in WD grey, on static display awaiting overhaul, with no imminent plans to return her to steam.|
|BR||2-6-4T||Standard Class 4||No 80064. Stored on static display in the engine shed awaiting a major overhaul. With 80151 in better condition, she faces a long wait to return to steam.|
|BR||2-6-4T||Standard Class 4||No 80100. Awaiting major restoration from Barry Scrapyard condition and work is unlikely to proceed for some time yet.|
|SECR||0-6-0T||Wainwright P Class||No 323. Overhaul is currently suspended while work concentrates on the bigger locomotives. It is planned to paint the locomotive "Bluebell Blue" once finished. With the overhaul of 1178 now started, this has damaged 323s chances of a return to steam in the near future.|
|SECR||0-6-0T||Wainwright P Class||No 27. Awaiting major Overhaul, might be taken on by the group currently working on Baxter. Last worked in 1974|
|Manning Wardle||0-6-0ST||No 641 Sharpthorn. On static display at Horsted Keynes Station. This is deemed to be a very fragile machine so is unlikely to be returned to steam|
|British Rail||0-6-0||Class 08||No 13236. On long-term loan from Shackerstone (Battlefield Line) and is now painted in 1950s BR black livery with the early BR crest. Being used for the railway's "Thursday shunt" until a steam engine is available.|
|Howard||4w||Class 2||No 957, petrol-engined locomotive. Nearing the end of its restoration with several test runs completed, it only requires minor jobs to return it to service.|
Four carriages built in 1898 and 1900 for use out of Baker Street Station in London. Initially steam hauled, later used in electric trains, reverting to steam haulage on the Chesham branch in 1940. Purchased by the Bluebell Railway in 1961, and used until withdrawn in the late 1960s in need of major attention. Now returned to service and are unique as a close-coupled set of vintage carriages. The restoration team were the recipient of the Heritage Railways Association's award as overall winner of their 2006/7 carriage competition.
|Metropolitan||368||Composite||Returned to traffic in 2002 after rebuild and in use with other Victorian Coaches.|
|Metropolitan||387||Brake Third||Returned to traffic in 1999 after rebuild and in use with other Victorian Coaches.|
|Metropolitan||394||Full Third||Returned to traffic in 1999 after rebuild and in use with other Victorian Coaches.|
|Metropolitan||412||Composite||Returned to traffic in late 2006 after rebuild and in use with other Victorian Coaches.|
The eventual plan is to put together two complete 4- or 5-coach sets of LBSCR and LCDR carriages. It is acknowledged that this will take many years, but two carriages are already in service and another is under overhaul. Most of these carriages have been rescued as grounded bodies from within bungalows or on farms. Underframes for many of them are (or will be) provided by shortening SR passenger-rated van underframes.
|LCDR||48||6-wheeled Brake||Stored awaiting major restoration, but the underframe has received some attention.|
|LCDR||114||4-wheeled Brake Third||Returned to traffic in 2006 after an extensive restoration; was previously used as a bungalow. In use with the Metropolitans and 661.|
|LCDR||51||4-wheeled Brake Second||Basically identical to 114, it is presently stored under a tarpaulin on a temporary underframe.|
|LCDR||668||6-wheel Third||Stored on a temporary underframe awaiting restoration.|
|LBSCR||661||Stroudley 4-wheel First||In use after rebuild and is in use with the Metropolitans and 114. It is planned to eventually be part of a Stroudley train pulled by the Terriers Stepney and Fenchurch.|
|LBSCR||676||Stroudley 4-wheel Brake Third||Stored awaiting restoration|
|LBSCR||949||Stroudley 4-wheel brake Third||Undergoing restoration, a new underframe has been found and the structure is complete. Some new framework for the compartment end is coming together and is being fitted to the coach chassis. Work on reassembling the brake end framework is under way. Expected to work with 661 once finished.|
|LBSCR||328||Stroudley 4-wheel Third||Stored awaiting restoration to working order.|
|LBSCR||992||Stroudley 4-wheel Third|
|LBSCR||35||Craven 4-wheel Second||Stored awaiting restoration. Work is planned to start once the other 4-wheel Stroudley carriages are finished.|
Together with the SECR Hundred seaters (see below) the operational coaches of this type form a set of coaches which have operated over recent years as the Bluebell's regular Vintage set.
|LBSCR||142||Bogie First||Returned to traffic in 1999 and won the 'Best Coach of the Year' award for 2002/03. Bogies away for tyre turning and due back in traffic shortly.|
|LSWR||320||Lavatory Third||Stored undercover, will be one of the next carriages to be overhauled.|
|LSWR||494||Corridor Third||Stored under a tarpaulin in the sidings.|
|LSWR||1520||Brake Third||Under restoration, which is well under way, some compartments have been finished and the remainder of the outer panneling is being fitted. an expected 2009 return to traffic.|
|SECR||1061||Birdcage Brake||Stored underneath a tarpaulin; requires major restoration.|
|SECR||1084||Birdcage Brake||Undergoing restoration. The roof, floors, partitions and structure have been overhauled. Four of the six compartments well on the way to completion and all the outer panneling and doors inside and out are all fitted to the coach body. Will be completed in 1920s/30s lined olive green livery.|
|SECR||1170||Birdcage Brake||Awaiting restoration with the roof requiring major attention. The interior will need to be reconstructed from scratch, but fortunately this is fairly plain and should be straight-forward.|
|SR||1050||Bogie Third||Stored awaiting overhaul, eventually to be part of a planned Birdcage train in the future. Included in this section because it was formed in 1924 by the rebuilding of several old SER carriage bodies onto a new bogie underframe. Is being considered for overhaul.|
The carriages designed by Richard Maunsell for the Southern Railway had a restrained elegance. In preservation terms they provide a superb vintage experience for the passenger, whilst as corridor vehicles they also offer access to more modern facilities.
|Maunsell||1309||Open Third||In service and used on passenger trains.|
|Maunsell||1336||Open Third||Undergoing overhaul. Almost finished, just needs to be painted. It is expected to return to traffic by Summer 2008.|
|Maunsell||1365||Composite Dining Saloon / Open Third||Stored awaiting overhaul after being used on passenger trains regularly.|
|Maunsell||2356||Corridor Third||Awaiting overhaul, was used for some years as the Carriage and Wagon Department Mess Coach. Overhaul possible in the future.|
|Maunsell||3687||Corridor Brake Third||Undergoing overhaul, the brake compartment interior is nearing completion and the doors have had all their timberwork overhauled and fitted. Once the brake compartment is finished work on the rest of the interior will continue. Work planned to speed up once 1336 is finished.|
|Maunsell||3724||Corridor Brake Third||Stored awaiting restoration with rotten timberwork. During its eventual restoration it may be converted into a disabled coach on passenger trains so people with wheelchairs can enjoy themselves.|
|Maunsell||4441||Unclassed Brake||Awaiting overhaul with a seriously damaged underframe but a good body. It is planned to swap underframes with 4444 in the near future so this one can be restored.|
|Maunsell||4444||Unclassed Brake||Out of service awaiting restoration. It is planned to donate its underframe to 4441 which survives in much better condition.|
|Maunsell||4922||Travelling Post Office||Stored awaiting restoration but it has been given low priority as it is not a passenger carrying vehicle.|
|Maunsell||5624||Corridor Composite||Stored awaiting restoration, work is expected to be programmed at some stage as it is one of the core gems of the Maunsell coach fleet.|
|Maunsell||6575||Corridor Brake Composite||Stored awaiting a fairly major overhaul particularly at the brake end.|
|Maunsell||6686||Corridor Brake Composite||Undergoing a repaint, won the 'Highly Commended Coach of the Year' award for 1998/99.|
|Maunsell||7864||Kitchen Buffet||Stored undercover. Will be restored in the short to medium term.|
|GNR||706||Directors' Saloon||In traffic and is used fairly regularly on passenger trains on Bank holidays and the Summer Months.|
|LNWR||1503||Observation Coach||In traffic and is used regularly on passenger trains, painted in LNWR livery it provides a unique view of the Railway.|
|LNWR||806||Semi-Royal Saloon||In service in LMS Maroon and was used as part of the Golden Arrow train but Pullman Car Christine relived it from much of the work but is still used on the train and as a saloon for special events.|
|LBSCR||60||Directors' Saloon||Stored awaiting restoration under a waterproof cover but its restoration should start soon.|
The 1940s Southern Railway designs of Oliver Bulleid produced a very clean, modern-looking carriage, many of the features of which were perpetuated in the BR standard (Mk. I) designs. The Bluebell's collection contains examples of SR built, Contractor built and BR built carriages. It is unfortunate that none of the shorter, early Bulleid designed carriages have survived.
|Bulleid||1456||Open Third||Awaiting restoration that's expected to be done in the near future.|
|Bulleid||1464||Open Third||In service and used regularly on passenger trains since 1986. Received further repairs to its outer panelling in 2005, now completed and the coach should be fit for use for another 20 years.|
|Bulleid||Open Third||1481||Out of service awaiting a fairly major overhaul with the body structure needing attention and replacement of external panelling.|
|Bulleid||1482||Open Third||In regular service on passenger trains following a major restoration that was completed in 2000.|
|Bulleid||2515||Semi-Open Brake Third||Awaiting major underframe overhaul. Could be back in traffic quickly.|
|Bulleid||2526||Semi-Open Brake Third||Nearing the end of a major overhaul. It is finished externally with final windows being fitted, all seats fitted in the open saloon and one out of two compartmens is nearly done, the interior door pannels require fitting. Planned to come into traffic in 2008 to replace 2515.|
|Bulleid||4227||Semi-Open Brake Third||Awaiting major restoration.|
|Bulleid||4279||Semi-Brake Open Third||Used regularly on passenger trains, will be due a major overhaul in the next ten years.|
|Bulleid||5768||Corridor Composite||Stored awaiting a major overhaul which will include work on the bodywork and floor which is not expected to happen yet.|
Two extremely durable carriages, built in 1922 and 1923, which have now run high annual mileages in public service on the Bluebell since 1963.
|SECR||971||Hundred Seater||Undergoing attention to the panels and doors.|
|SECR||1098||Hundred Seater||Operational and is used regularly to carry passengers.|
Several of these have been overhauled and operate regularly as the Bluebell Railway's Golden Arrow dining train (Lunch and Dinner), and also on occasions for the Sussex Belle (tea-time) and City Limited (Breakfast) services.
|Pullman||Car No. 54.||Brake Third||Stored outside awaiting restoration.|
|Pullman||Car No. 64 Christine||Parlour Third||Operational|
|Pullman||Car No. 76 Lillian||Parlour Third||Operational, will require major overhaul in the coming years.|
|Pullman||Constance||Kitchen First||Originally SER Drawing Room Car No.33, of 1891, becoming a Pullman in 1919. Awaiting restoration which will be very major.|
|Pullman||Eagle||Kitchen First||In service. On long term loan from the National Railway Museum but due to return shortly because it doesn't fit in with the 1920's theme from the other carriages.|
|Pullman||Doris||Kitchen First||Internally complete, and used statically. On static display awaiting overhaul, may be overhauled soon to replace Eagle as a Kitchen car and to keep in with the 1920's theme. Was part of the "Brighton Belle" electric Pullman train.|
The staple of most preserved railways, on the Bluebell Mk1s only form a proportion of the operational stock. They are a durable design, representing in many ways the culmination of traditional carriage design in the UK, prior to the introduction of monocoque techniques.
|British Rail||1818||Restaurant Miniature Buffet||Operational|
|British Rail||1838||Restaurant Miniature Buffet||Operational|
|British Rail||3064||Open First||Operational in the Lounge Car Service.|
|British Rail||4824||Open Second||Operational in the Lounge Car service.|
|British Rail||4941||Open Second||Operational.|
|British Rail||4957||Open Second||Operational but only used when the railway needs the extra seating capacity on passenger trains.|
|British Rail||5034||Saloon||Operational, Converted to multi-use saloon with wheelchair lifts.|
|British Rail||16210||Corridor Composite||Operational|
|British Rail||16263||Corridor Composite||Awaiting restoration which is planned in the not too distant future.|
|British Rail||21271||Brake Composite||Awaiting restoration|
|British Rail||24458||Corridor Second||Awaiting major overhaul/restoration.|
|British Rail||25728||Corridor Second||Operational|
|British Rail||25769||Corridor Second||Operational|
|British Rail||35448||Brake Corridor Second||Operational|
|British Rail||4824||Open Second||Operational|
|LCDR||1||Horse Box||Awaiting restoration, body only. Will be overhauled very soon.|
|SECR||1953||Passenger Luggage Van||Serviceable, but used as mess van.|
|LBSCR||270||Milk / Fruit Van||Under overhaul with the underframe re-wheeled and nearly finished. Brake gear is being worked on and body framework is being overhauled.|
|SECR||719||Birdcage Brake Van||Awaiting restoration.|
|LSWR||5498||Ventilated Luggage Van||Awaiting restoration.|
|SR||C 404||4-wheel brake Van||Operational, used in the Golden Arrow when the LMS BGZ is unavailable.|
|SR||C 419||4-wheel Brake Van||Operational|
|SR||C 442||4-Wheel Brake Van||Non operational converted to generator truck in 1990s for Queen of Scots accommodation.|
|SR||C 653||4-wheel Brake Van||Non-operational. Used as a store.|
|SR||1184||PLV (Passenger Luggage Van)||Non operational. Used as a store.|
|SR||1788||PLV (Passenger Luggage Van)||Non operational.|
|SR||2186||PLV (Passenger Luggage Van)||Nearing the end of repairs.|
|SR||2276||Van U (Covered Carriage Truck)||Non operational and used as a workshop for the S&T department.|
|SR||2462||GBL (Gangwayed Bogie Luggage van)||Operational|
|SR||2531||CCT (Covered Carriage Truck)||Non operational, used as a store by the Camelot Locomotive Society.|
|United Dairies||4430||6-wheel glass-lined Milk Tank||Operational and used regularly in goods trains and sometimes in a passenger train.|
|BR||4601|| GUV Bogie Scenery Van|
(modified for carrying circus elephants).
|Non operational. Used as a signalling store.|
|LMS/BR||398||First Sleeper||Non operational and used as a staff sleeping accommodation.|
|LMS/BR||603||Third Sleeper||Non operational and used as a staff sleeping accommodation.|
|LMS/BR||623||Third Sleeper||Non operational and used as a staff sleeping accommodation.|
|BR||6334||BG (Full Brake)||Non operational and used as a store.|
|LMS||32975||BGZ (6-wheel Gangwayed Guard's Brake, Stove R)||Out of service undergoing extensive modifications to run in Pullman train as a replacement for Eagle.|
|BR||87720||Insulated Fish Covered Van||In storage awaiting overhaul which is expected to be done in the coming years.|
|BR||2442||Staff Sleeping Coach||(88 Service Car No.2) Ex-SLC (1961).|
|BR||25776||Staff Dormitory||(TCL 99166) Ex-SK (1961).|
|BR||25871||Carriage Shop||(TCL 99161) Ex-SK (1962).|