The Coventry-Nuneaton Line is a short branch line linking Coventry and Nuneaton in the West Midlands of England. The route currently serves Nuneaton, Bedworth and Coventry; however, the line used to also serve many smaller stations.
On 26 January 1857, 23 of the 28 arches of the Spon End viaduct collapsed. This meant trains travelling south terminated at Coundon Road railway station while the viaduct was rebuilt. This took 3½ years to complete and services to Coventry were restored on 1 October 1860.
The line was closed to passenger traffic on 18 January 1965 under the Beeching Axe. The line was re-opened under the Speller Act on 11 May 1987 although Nuneaton Abbey Street has now been permanently closed and replaced with Nuneaton Trent Valley, now just Nuneaton. Initially there were no intermediate stations on the re-opened line until 16 May 1988 when the rebuilt Bedworth station was opened.
Case for new rail station 'irrefutable' JOINT STAND: Councils see plan for Ricoh Arena as key to a new commuter route.(News)
Aug 09, 2007; Byline: By Fiona Scott POLITICAL EDITOR CAMPAIGNERS for a railway station in north Coventry have lodged a fresh business case...