The Salerno Costa d'Amalfi Airport, located in the area of Pontecagnano Faiano and Bellizzi, is the nearest airport to Salerno, the Amalfi Coast and the Parco nazionale del Cilento e Vallo di Diano.
The airport was founded in 1926 by Aeronautica Militare
. A flight training
facility was estabilished between 1933 and 1943. The first hangar was designed by the famous architect Pier Luigi Nervi
. In 1946 a meteorological
service was established, and in 1952, the Salerno
Air Club was founded. In 1962 a plane carrying the Kennedy
family landed. The airport has hosted the Carabinieri helipad
since 1975, and the Firefighter helipad
and a parachuting
school since 1984. A new control tower
was built in 1987. The airport was exclusively used by the Carabinieri
, flight and parachuting
school and small private jets
The airport was then developed to accommodate civil traffic on a large scale, with four check-in desks
, two boarding
areas, luggage belts and waiting rooms. The runway
has a VOR system
, a radio direction finder VDF and a lighting system. The runway
was extended for a total length of 1 654 m
, with two extensions to 2 100 m
and 2 400 m
- VolaSalerno, a brand created by Global Aviation Network S.r.l. and Aeroporto di Salerno S.p.A., with OrionAir BAe 146 planes.
- Explora Italia (from November 29, 2008).
- Parking: 150 free parking spaces in front of the terminal.
- Taxi: from/to Salerno costs €30, from/to Battipaglia costs €15.
- Bus: from/to Salerno and Battipaglia: CSTP route no.8.
- Bus: from/to Battipaglia, Bellizzi, Castellammare di Stabia, Cava de' Tirreni, Eboli, Filetta, Nocera Inferiore, Nocera Superiore, Palomonte, Perrazze, Pontecagnano Faiano, Ricigliano, Salerno, San Gregorio Magno, Sperlonga, Vietri sul Mare: Buonotourist routes.
- Train: Salerno and Pontecagnano Faiano station.
- Subway: an extension of Servizio ferroviario suburbano di Salerno to the airport is planned.