Coşkun Can Aktan
) is an economist and a professor of Public Finance in the department of Economics and Management at Dokuz Eylül University
in İzmir, Turkey
. He earned his undergraduate and graduate degrees from Dokuz Eylul University and began teaching there in 1986, obtaining full professorship in 1996. Aktan is a leading expert on the Privatization
of the Turkish economy
, analyzing and writing on the movement of Turkey
from a statist
to a private economy
from its early days, making Aktan an early and internationally known source of information on Turkey's move toward a market-based economy
He worked at several international research centers and universities including the Center for Study of Public Choice, George Mason University; Economics Department of the University of California (UCLA) ; International Social Sciences Institute of the University of Edinburgh and Institut für Allgemeine für Wirtschaftsforschung of the University of Freiburg (Germany) as a visiting scholar.
Aktan's research studies have been funded by fellowships and grants from organizations such as Higher Education Institution of Turkey, Turkish Scientific and Technical Research Institution (TÜBİTAK), Turkish Sciences Academy (TÜBA, George Mason University Foundation (USA), Earhart Foundation (USA), British Council (UK), German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD (Germany), Friedrich-Naumann Foundation (Germany), Japan Foundation (Japan) and Soros Foundation. He served as an adjunct professor and became member of Board of Science at the International Black Sea University, Georgia for many years.
Aktan is a prolific writer and a regular contributor to scholarly journals in Turkey. His research ranges across many fields within social sciences, and includes works on Political Economy and Public Choice.
He is editor of International Journal of Business, Management and Economics (IJBME)
- AKTAN Coşkun Can, Ekonomik Anayasa, Ankara, TİSK Yayın No:162,
- AKTAN Coşkun Can and Sanver, İpek Özkal, Oyunlar, Kurallar ve Düzen, in Kurallar, Kurumlar ve Düzen (ed. Coşkun Can Aktan), 2006, pp. 97-113, Sermaye Piyasası Kurulu Yayınları, Ankara
- AKTAN “Borçlanma Yetkisinin Sınırlandırılması ve Ekonomik Anayasa Önerisi”, Maliye Yazıları, Nisan-Haziran 1998.
- AKTAN, Türkiye Dünyanın Neresinde?, EGİAD Yayını, Meta Basım,1999.
- Retroactive Taxation and Violation of Tax Equity in Turkey, 9 Eylül University,Social Sciences Institute periodics, issue1,volume5,2003
- ETHICS IN GOVERNMENT:ANTI-CORRUPTION MEASURES,abstract,Public Choice World Meeting 2007
- "Turkish Economists on the Web",Ankara University,Faculty of Political Sciences web page*
- "Informational Limits to Democratic Public Policy", abstract,The 2nd International Conference of the Japan Economic Policy Association Nov. 29 - 30, 2003 at Nagoya University